Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a Michelin Commander II (200/55R/17) installed on rear of my Roadliner at local dealer. Picked bike up today and there's a very noticeable vibration at 2,500 RPM that wasn't there before I took bike in. Comes up through the fairing into the windshield which vibrates and rattles. Obviously, something isn't right. Going to take the bike back on Monday but would like to know what it is before I talk to them. Anybody else have this problem after tire installation?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just had a Michelin Commander II (200/55R/17) installed on rear of my Roadliner at local dealer. Picked bike up today and there's a very noticeable vibration at 2,500 RPM that wasn't there before I took bike in. Comes up through the fairing into the windshield which vibrates and rattles. Obviously, something isn't right. Going to take the bike back on Monday but would like to know what it is before I talk to them. Anybody else have this problem after tire installation?
check the bead for even seating. is there a visible wobble in the rim or tire itself. usually engine rpm wouldn't make a difference in wheel vibration but road speed will. sometimes letting the air out and reinflating will set the bead correctly or could be out of balance. after you get it back from the dealer if there's a lot of weights installed to correct it i'd want another tire. any wheel weights that that exceed 1% of total weight of the wheel is too much. especially for such an expensive tire. i just balanced my cheap kendas on heavy spoke rims with less than 14 grams 1/2 oz on each wheel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the bead, it looks even. Only one small weight on wheel.

Just took it for another test ride. Pulled in the clutch lever and let it coast at various speeds up to 75 MPH with no vibration. Rolls nice and smooth. It appears the vibration is coming from the engine. If I put it in neutral and rev the engine while sitting still the vibration starts at 2,500 RPM. If I'm in any gear it starts to vibrate at 2,500 and smooths out at higher RPM. Worst vibes between 2,500 and 2,900.

Really weird, there was no vibration in the fairing or windshield until after the tire was put on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts