Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 1100 vstar with 17,000 miles. I recently replaced the engine with a used engine with supposedly 22,000 miles. I have put roughly 500 miles on it since the swap. recently I have noticed the bike vibrates pretty bad at higher RPMs. Anyone have this problem before or know what might be causing this? It's very problematic on the hands and I'm concerned there might be a problem with the engine.
Thanks for reading and any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would check/adjust the carb sync first just going by your description. Was the entire motor replaced including intake, carbs, etc.?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor came without carbs so I used originals. You don't think they would work fine then lose sync do ya?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think if you didn't sync them there's a good chance they're out of sync. A sync is good regular maintenance anyway. It probably can't hurt to check the plugs, Seafoam the motor, and sync the carbs. At the least, it should help reveal a problem if it doesn't cure it by itself.

What took the old motor out at 17,000 miles? And, how long did it sit before replacing the motor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I will try all that.
The other motor had metal shavings in it off of the cam gear for the rear cylinder. It only sat 2 weeks til I got the other motor in from Ohio

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think if you didn't sync them there's a good chance they're out of sync. A sync is good regular maintenance anyway. It probably can't hurt to check the plugs, Seafoam the motor, and sync the carbs. At the least, it should help reveal a problem if it doesn't cure it by itself.

What took the old motor out at 17,000 miles? And, how long did it sit before replacing the motor?
Sync, seafoam & plug-check are all pretty low effort and worth doing. I'm of the 'do the easy/cheap stuff first then proceed only if that doesn't help' school.

Checking your valve clearances would be another thing to consider in the 'relatively easy' area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts