Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike sat a few days because it got cold until I took it to work the last couple days and something is different.

On the highway I have a vibration I feel on the footboards. This was not there before. I think my feet would go to sleep on a long ride.

Also the exhaust sounds different. It seems like there's a different sound coming from the pipe attached to rear cylinder. Not as smooth. Crackles and pops some.

Any thoughts?

2003 1100 Silverado

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. Hopefully I can find the right area to spray.

What does it mean if it does rev up?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried spraying break cleaner and didn't get any change.

I'm wondering if there isn't some gunk in the carbs. The bike only had 5300 miles on it when I bought it and I think it sat a good deal. I've run some seafoam through 3 or 4 tanks of gas. I wonder if I need to clean the carb this winter? Carb sync maybe?

Is pulling the carb to clean it a hard job?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Gunk

Duke,

It won't hurt to run some cleaner through it. I like Sea Foam, you can get at Wall Mart and many auto parts stores. Does not sound like it sat long enough to gum up but it could have had some gunk in the lines or carbs that settled in. Maybe some water? If so you might want to check the fuel filter.

Till a better idea comes along.

I think what oldbanjo was looking for was an air leak in the intake. Was a good thought.

Have you looked around here for ideas?
http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

Tthere is a trouble shooting Carbs link on the right half way down.

Dave

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've run Seafoam a few times, but it's not getting it. I thought about the filter but I would think both cylinders would be running off. It seems the front cylinder sounds smooth. I only get the sputter from the rear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check again

Well, have you checked the exhaust system? If it sounds different and vibrates the foorboards, it sounds like it is loose, possibly at the connection to the heads. Or anyplace else along the pipe or muffler. Or possibly some constriction in the exhaust? A mouse or something?
Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, have you checked the exhaust system? If it sounds different and vibrates the foorboards, it sounds like it is loose, possibly at the connection to the heads. Or anyplace else along the pipe or muffler. Or possibly some constriction in the exhaust? A mouse.
Mike
Exhaust is clear tight. It's not that kind of vibration. Pretty sure it's from the motor not running as smooth as it should. As I stated the motor sound out of one exhaust is smooth, but crackles and pops in the other(rear).

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you haven't cleaned the filter I'd do it. If it is water it could all be getting to one carb. It's worth checking and check for gas line leak, may be sucking air.

·
Registered
254 Posts
While it's dark run the bike and check if you can see any sparks jumping from the spark plug wire to ground. Rev it up and look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts