Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a cost effective ($40) video camera. The main purpose is here lately seems like every vehicle on the road during my commute was out to get me. I mounted to fairing to test. Well that didn't go very well. Way too much vibration. Going for plan B, don't know what that is yet. Really don't want it on my helmet as I change helmets at least on a weekly basis so I can wash some of the funk out caused by our wonderful Texas heat. I just posted a short video so y'all can see what not to do.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I picked up a cheap one too, for the same reason, and I came to the conclusion that the best mounting point would be on the chin of a full face helmet. But since I ride with an open face, not an option. It's in a drawer somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's Plan B. Worked pretty good. Sorry for the long video, I'm to lazy to edit. One thing I was trying to make sure is that I could read the licence plate of other vehicles, mission accomplished. Top speed was 55 mph, wind noise is bad but I'm ok with that. Yes, today was trash day and I have to put my trash can up. Yes, I live in a middle class subdivision, Yes my garage is messy, Yes, tranny makes noise when you shift. No, I don't stop 100% all the time, I'll stop twice next time. The concrete roads around here have a lot of dips and camera didn't move much. I'm now pretty happy with my $40 camera. Picture of bike is to show where i mounted camera. I think it looks ok there. One reason I mounter there is I have an USB port about 6 inches above it and can run a charger cable. Comments?

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reloaded the videos. Hopefully y'all can see them now. Would someone please let me know if they are visible? I'm a rookie with this YouTube stuff. My grand kids aren't here so I can't ask them. 😂

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the video. It looked pretty good. How long of a ride can you get in before either recharging or filling up the disk space?
It says 2.5 hours for battery and 32 gig card should be about the same. My commute is right at 2 hours round trip. The camera will rewrite over previous video if I don't save. Since I'm using mainly for commuting I don't need to save. It has a quick disconnect so I can easily remove at work. Still trying to figure out Wi-Fi and app, it's really hard to understand the manual the way it's written. Or maybe this old brain is just overloaded. We will see how it works on a daily basics. If plan B records like first test I'm very happy with my $40 camera. I might try to move it a little so front fender isn't in picture. But if I can't it's not that bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
I can see them clearly, what type of mount are you using when you’re riding/ recording? Stationary the video quality is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Camera came with several mounts. It's mounted solid to the driving light bracket. I knew there would some vibration, it's a Harley, but it's still pretty good. I will live with it for now. I know mounting on helmet would be best, but I don't want it there.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
After watching the video i have a little constructive criticism. You should have stopped at the yellow light.
The shadow makes you look a lot bigger. If you got your old yamaha back it would shake less. And last i think it would be more efficient for the collectors if the recycle cart was on the other side of the drive. To sum it all up nice job!

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After watching the video i have a little constructive criticism. You should have stopped at the yellow light.
The shadow makes you look a lot bigger. If you got your old yamaha back it would shake less. And last i think it would be more efficient for the collectors if the recycle cart was on the other side of the drive. To sum it all up nice job!
1. I'll stop twice next time at that light.

2. Any bike I'm on looks big since I'm still waiting for that growth spurt that the doctor promised me years ago.

3. You are correct on Yamaha shaking less. No the video looks like my brain, a little scambled.

4. I used to put trash can on other side. Then trash guys asked me to put it there. Trash man is now happy and will pick up anything I put out there.

5. Thanks for the nice job comment.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
1. I'll stop twice next time at that light.

2. Any bike I'm on looks big since I'm still waiting for that growth spurt that the doctor promised me years ago.

3. You are correct on Yamaha shaking less. No the video looks like my brain, a little scambled.

4. I used to put trash can on other side. Then trash guys asked me to put it there. Trash man is now happy and will pick up anything I put out there.

5. Thanks for the nice job comment.
But i believe the recycle guy is left handed.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Her's a few more videos I took today. First one was at 5 am going to work. Night vision with camera is poor. Anything that reflects light or emits light don't record very well. This is part unlit road and then getting on freeway. Second video is on same road as first video I posted. This is an extremely rough road with big expansion joints, grooves and dips. This is actually the worst video section of over a hour recording going home. Third one is a smoother road, yes it rained on me today. Still getting a little more camera movement than I want, but getting better. The camera is going to work well for what I want.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts