Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Concrete roads are a Pain in the neck aren't they.
Yes, concrete roads are rough with expansion joints and dips. Plus they are hard on tires. That stretch of road floods everytime we get a good rain and has deteriorated the road conditions. A friend of mine has a top of the line Gopro. Today at lunch I mounted it on my helmet and went down the same road that my video was taken. That video was actually more shakey than with my camera. Guess my head actually bounces more than the bike does. Now his lower speed on smooth road video was fantastic, but I could buy 10 of mine for his one. For what I want mine is going to work fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here's an overhead of the same road that I'm shooting the video on. It floods like this several times a year. The right lanes that are totally impassable in this picture is the same as video. It's a bummer when it's flooded because the drive around adds about 30 minutes to my commute home

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Best to start out with a cheap one and learn something about cameras and uploading or saving videos. Thank you for your input, safe riding.
Exactly my thought. I figured for $40 I could play with it. Maybe it's just me but there is more to recording, add title page, add music, edit content, etc, than I thought. But I'm the type that doesn't give up easily. Definitely a learning curve for this old dog. 😂

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you think about, it's really amazing the quality of video you can get out of these cheap video cams. I've seen some in the $50 - 60.00 range that it's difficult to tell the difference between them and a GoPro that costs 4X as much.

To get a very still video on a bike you need a cam that has good image stabilization and more importantly a good gimbal which can cost as much as the camera.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I'm still playing with the camera. This latest video is same road, same speed with another brace modification. I also slowed down the video speed 75%. I read that slowing down a video slightly will stabilize to some. To me it really looks better. Watch how much the front fender bounces and how much smoother the video is. This is probably as good as it's going to get. I know I need to work on the editing part, but it's getting easier. Any comments?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4eMQNssCbZc1DVQTA

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Good video couldn't enlarge it and I really hate when I make a lane change and it slows down.
Double click on video, any where on video to go full screen.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Pretty cool! I wish the video was longer though...the music was just starting to get good...then bam! But seriously I can see where this could help with being able to assess your riding skills. Said in my best Jim Carey voice...I like it...I like it alot!

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm at lunch and down loaded a video editor for mobile devices. Made a quick video on partial ride home from work yesterday. It's a little long but wanted to experiment with different features of program. It took me about 5 minutes to made the video. Again, just a test. How does it look on y'alls end.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sb93VaCBAgRfewk27

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Pretty smooth Les. Now be honest - the grandkids helped you with that, didn't they? :wink:

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Well since it cost me so much I pulled the trigger. You've come a long way in a short time. Hopefully I can do the same thing. I have 14 days until the west coast get together. Could you post some close ups of the mount. Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
YamahaPat, I'll take better pictures tomorrow. Can't really get enough light for good pictures. Key is to make sure it's as solid as possible. Did you also get a 32 gig card? It says 32 gig card is largest it will use. Good for several hours of video. I record every day on commute, two hours total, and it holds it all. I just delete today's or download on PC so I can mess with it. I found uploading to google photos work pretty good. That way I can view whenever I want. I'll explain my mounting spot after I get better pictures. First couple of pictures are just mount without camera, then camera mounted. It has a removable mount. Camera comes with a lot of different mounts.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
41 - 60 of 128 Posts