Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love my XS400, I've been wanting something a little bigger. But having three kids, I can't afford to buy one that is ready to ride. I came across a wrecked V Star 1100 on CL. It was pretty trashed, but the motor is still good, so I purchased it (site unseen) and had it shipped. I got it today and it looks like he let someone pick through it and take a bunch of parts off. I already knew someone took the front end, but I wasn't aware of everything else. It's missing quite a bit. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure yet if the frame is straight, but someone cut the neck off and bought the title. Wondering if it would be better to find a titled frame or title this as "Special Construction". Anyone been through that process? I wanted to modify the frame anyway so if I did find another frame I would just be chopping it up. Also, having a 1 inch neck would give me a broader range of front end options. I would love to get a springer, but I can't afford a real one, so I would be limited to DNA (I know, I know) or Moto Iron.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You're missing quite a bit.. Biggest things I can see missing are the carbs and the CDI.. Also, looking at the picture going from front to back, it looks like the frame might be tweaked a little to the right hand side of the bike.. But I could be wrong..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're right about the frame. Any idea what a CDI costs?

I've always wanted to do a single carb on one of these after seeing Updtown Rob's V Star. That thing sounds amazing. Now I've got an excuse to make it happen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow, this will be quite the build. Take plenty of pics and keep us updated on your progress. I will be interested in what you are planning to do with this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think you're right about the frame. Any idea what a CDI costs?

I've always wanted to do a single carb on one of these after seeing Updtown Rob's V Star. That thing sounds amazing. Now I've got an excuse to make it happen.
I'd love to go single carb myself, to be honest.. I just haven't got the scratch for it right now.. But, maybe tax time? lol

In regards to the CDI, just keep your eyes on eBay.. Dealer wants upwards of $700 for one. eBay they can be in the low $200s.. But, depending on what you're going to do, you might just go with a Dyna 3000 as I believe it replaces the CDI and it's about the same price for a new Dyna as it is for a used CDI..

GL!

eGo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In regards to the CDI, just keep your eyes on eBay.. Dealer wants upwards of $700 for one. eBay they can be in the low $200s.. But, depending on what you're going to do, you might just go with a Dyna 3000 as I believe it replaces the CDI and it's about the same price for a new Dyna as it is for a used CDI..
Wow, that sucks. Any benefit to running the Dyna over the stock one?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You're probably about $2+++ grand away from a working bike including parts/shipping etc. You've really got nothing useable but a motor and rear tire. The rest is junk.

If it was me, I'd take what I have and sell the pieces on Ebay to try to get my money back. You'll never get your money back out of it if you try to restore it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In order to finance this build, I need to finish and sell my XS400. I need to focus on that bike, but I keep finding myself sneeking outside to play on this one.

The rear subframe was too beat up to salvage, so I cut it off and did some vroomies in the driveway. Starting to dream . . .

If all goes to plan, when I fix the frame, I plan on doing a single tube backbone, 2-4” up, no out with about 35 degree rake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're probably about $2+++ grand away from a working bike including parts/shipping etc. You've really got nothing useable but a motor and rear tire. The rest is junk.

If it was me, I'd take what I have and sell the pieces on Ebay to try to get my money back. You'll never get your money back out of it if you try to restore it.
Yeah, I hear ya. The determining factor for me will be the frame. If it's too bent to fix that will put me at a fork in the road. I enjoy the process of rebuilding bikes, so it's more of a hobby than an investment anyway.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dude you are braver than I am! I wish you the best of luck with ever you do. Hopefully once you have a plan together and start moving forward you won't find out the motor is toast.
No carbs no pipes, sitting open like that...if that engine isn't full of water or critters you are a lucky man. Hopefully who ever you purchased it from had it either inside or under a cover of some type.
As you know you have a long road ahead of you but if that's your thing then go for it. Looking forward to seeing you riding it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude you are braver than I am! I wish you the best of luck with ever you do. Hopefully once you have a plan together and start moving forward you won't find out the motor is toast.
No carbs no pipes, sitting open like that...if that engine isn't full of water or critters you are a lucky man. Hopefully who ever you purchased it from had it either inside or under a cover of some type.
As you know you have a long road ahead of you but if that's your thing then go for it. Looking forward to seeing you riding it!
Thanks man. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about it. The bike has been sitting in a storage building. The guy sent me a video of it running before he started parting it out, otherwise I probably wouldn't have purchased it.

I plan on moving it into my sun room so it's out of the weather when I work on it, but it's pretty heavy. I got it out of the back of a pick up then picked up the front end to roll it up the driveway. I'm too worn out to move it again today, haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
I'm with everyone else in wishing you good luck on the rebuild, yet if you have the talent and time, go for it. Definitely keep us updated on your progress. I'm sure you'll influence many of us.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. The determining factor for me will be the frame. If it's too bent to fix that will put me at a fork in the road. I enjoy the process of rebuilding bikes, so it's more of a hobby than an investment anyway.
With the steering head cut off, that frame isn't usable unless you have a frame jig and are an expert welder...and you'll still need another frame to cut the head out of. Figure between 350-600 for another frame with shipping. The only things that appear usable is the motor, possibly the final drive and rear wheel. If it was a rear end crash.....the last 2 items would be suspect as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the steering head cut off, that frame isn't usable unless you have a frame jig and are an expert welder...and you'll still need another frame to cut the head out of. Figure between 350-600 for another frame with shipping. The only things that appear usable is the motor, possibly the final drive and rear wheel. If it was a rear end crash.....the last 2 items would be suspect as well.
You called it man. I got it stripped down and the frame is quite far from straight. Even the swingarm seems to be twisted. :( I talked to a friend that builds frames and he recommends selling the motor and rear wheel and finding a better one. Not that surprised, just disappointed.

A friend of mine offered me a great deal on his 02 Sportster. I've been a fan of Jap bikes from day 1, but his bike is like new with only 11,000 miles on it. And it comes with a clean title ;). I hate to give up on a build at the start, but it's a tempting offer.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Good luck with what ever way you go.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts