Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a low mileage 07 Virago 250 for sale. The guy says in his ad that it has problem where it stalls when it shifts into second gear. He says he had a mechanic look at it and they were unable to find the cause. Any idea what they could be overlooking. If I could buy the bike for the right price you think its worth it rolling the dice on. I am newbie who just passed his MSF and looking for my first bike. I am not knowledgable about bikes mechanically but I am mechanically inclined and work on my own cars and plan to learn to work on my own bike too. Any advice would be helpful

Thanks in advance,
Adam

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How low is low? If it's low it's probably sat and if it's sat it's the carbs that would need cleaning. Idle jet is most likely clogged or partially clogged. Simple test open the choke and try riding it if it's better it's the carb clog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How low is low? If it's low it's probably sat and if it's sat it's the carbs that would need cleaning. Idle jet is most likely clogged or partially clogged. Simple test open the choke and try riding it if it's better it's the carb clog.
It has only about 800 miles on it. Can't imagine how his mechanic would not have taken the carb into account when diagnosing the problem. When you say open the choke don't you mean close the choke as if I am starting it cold. Just want to make sure I follow you. If the carb is indeed the problem this could allow me to steal the bike it for a good price but still not sure if I want to risk it if the problem is anything major. KBB and NADA have the bike priced at about $2k in excellent condition with average miles. If I wanted to grab the bike what would be the most you feel I should pay for it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Does it stall when shifting into first gear? It's pretty difficult for me to believe a problem shifting into second without a similar problem shifting into first. I'd also be looking into the safety interlocks. If the kickstand safety isn't working correctly it will kill the engine shifting into gear if it "thinks" the kickstand is down. Does the Neutral indicator light work correctly? That is involved in the safety circuit, too. And there is a switch on the clutch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it stall when shifting into first gear? It's pretty difficult for me to believe a problem shifting into second without a similar problem shifting into first. I'd also be looking into the safety interlocks. If the kickstand safety isn't working correctly it will kill the engine shifting into gear if it "thinks" the kickstand is down. Does the Neutral indicator light work correctly? That is involved in the safety circuit, too. And there is a switch on the clutch.
I haven't spoken to the guy. Anything I know is based on what he wrote in his ad. He specifically states it happens going into second gear. I am going to contact him to find out more. I thought about the kickstand safety being involved but because he claims it only happens going to 2nd it seemed to negate the kickstand safety as a cause. If it turns out that it occurs going in 1st as well then it will make more sense. In your opinion what would be a good price to pay for this thing if I wanted to take a chance with it?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'd say $1200 as it needs work and I havent seen it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Id tell him a 1000 bucks. He's selling you a broken bike as is and he might exactly know what the problem is.

His mechanic probably quoted him a high figure and he's just playing stupid because he doesn't want to put that money into the repair.

For a grand even if it costs $800 to fix it you still are below the blue book value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id tell him a 1000 bucks. He's selling you a broken bike as is and he might exactly know what the problem is.

His mechanic probably quoted him a high figure and he's just playing stupid because he doesn't want to put that money into the repair.

For a grand even if it costs $800 to fix it you still are below the blue book value.
Sort of ballsy of him to ask 2k which is book for one in excellent condition, while admitting the bike has a mechanical problem that he nor his mechanic can find the cause of. The priciest thing it could be are the transmission and the much cheaper thing it could be is some sort of fuel/carb problem. Can't imagine in any way that its the motor itself. At worst what do you think a replacement trans installed on that bike will cost parts and labor? No more than the $800 you mentioned I assume?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I couldn't even guess how much it would cost to rebuild the tranny. But it could very well be something as easy as clogged carb jets, I just find it weird that a mechanic didn't know what the issue is or that he didn't take it to another mechanic.

Who knows maybe the guy is a new rider and is starting in second gear and shifting into third at 5mph stalling the bike, lol.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"It's in great shape except blah, blah, blah, and my mechanic can't find it."
Translation, it's not worth it to him to fix. either in money or time. He is selling you a non-drivable bike and I would therefore only pay him for a non-drivable bike. You are taking 100% of the risk on a problem that is who knows what. It would have to be mighty,mighty,cheap for me to buy it. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm with Summer on this. I would assume that if he had a "mechanic" look at it and not fix it, it wasn't worth repairing. The seller is either lazy or a liar. Either way, it's your money and your gamble. There isn't much value for a 250 to start with. I'd have a hard time even going $500 on it.....you would never get your money back out of it. There ate a lot of motorcycles for sale out there.....you can find a better deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I finally spoke to the owner today. She told me she bought the bike 2 years ago and she rode it a bit but noticed something was not quite right with it from the start and she spent alot of money trying to rectify the problem and now is fed up and just wants to get rid of it. She said the mechanic who she had work on it told her that he found signs that someone had already had it apart and was messing around with it. Its my suspicion that the person she bought it from knew about the issue already and was had been trying to rectify it and must have given up and simply put it up for sale hoping to unload it on a unsuspecting buyer. Because of its history I told her I might be able to offer her something closer to $1000 and she seemed very open to that but I am now more hesitant to even consider it at all given its uncertain history. I think I will move on and find something else. Not worth the aggravation. Oh well.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sounds like a plan... Get an 1100, there's lots of them and everyone I know of likes them!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just to add to the previous comment you can get better deals on 1100's as well and there are lots to choose from. I bought mine from a guy down the street with Samson pipes, custom paint, chrome accessories everywhere, windshield and bags for $3200.

I've had it for a few years now and it is very reliable and probably much more comfortable than that 250.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts