Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a hello to everyone. I'm a retired guy living in Fredrickson Washington. I spend most of my time watching some of my grandkids (the little ones) and love it.

As my screen name "750 Chris" would suggest, I am, admittedly most of the time a Kawasaki 750 Vulcan rider. But, I am also the original owner of a 2005 Star 250 Virago. Wonderful little bike and fun as hell to scoot around on. The only time I've been stopped by a cop while on a bike was on this thing (doing 70 in a 60 zone).

I must also admit that 99.9% of my riding since '06 has been on the larger 750. The Virago has been well kept, never mistreated and is in virtually perfect condition with a smidgeon over 3K miles.

I like the 05 Virago better than its current incarnation as the 250 V-Star. I just think its a better bike. And better looking.

I did join a Virago forum once years ago but found that to be useless. I spend my forum time now in three different Kawasaki sites and dabble in a fourth. But I've not really tried to look for a Star site but today I stumbled across this one and thought "why not?". This is the same, common format to this site as most of the others so I know how to navigate well here.

I do have a question about the 250 Virago that has always disturbed me but I'll jump down to the V-Star section to ask.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and one more thing that I forgot to mention: I am giving this bike to my daughter-in-law this year. She's a little thing and wants to learn how to ride. Both myself and her dad ride. He has a 1200 HD (poor guy). So once my son gets his garage cleaned out the bike will get officially transferred over to her.

I'm so used to seeing it in my garage it'll be sad to see it go. But it'll stay in the family. Just like when I gave the same son my '67 Mustang fastback (red). Its in his garage, too, so still in the family.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
... so daughter in law is taking the MSF beginners course to get her license.. yes?

giving her a bike is a lot of leverage, and that is the place to use it: pass the course, get a free bike!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't yet had the discussion with her (don't know if her dad had either) but plan to. In fact, the local course people even offer this exact type bike as loaners for the new people to learn on.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links.

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
Hi Chris!
Welcome from East Tennessee. I also own a Virago and it’s under going a transition. Mine is a 96’ 750 and a blast to ride, just have to finish er’ up into a bobber. Glad you joined us and I think it’s cool you’re paying it forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Virago name covered a host of different size bikes over the years. I think Yamaha finally stopped using the name in either 2005 or 2006.

I've done a fresh oil change and filter change for her (daughter-in-law). Also put new tires on it although I want to continue riding it long enough to scuff the tires so they won't be too slippery for her. The bike is essentially in perfect condition considering its 14 going on 15 years old.

It runs nice for me. I know it'll perform better for her because I outweigh her by a good 100 lbs.

·
2,532 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride. You'll always be welcome here.

The Virago has been around for a long time until it was dropped in favor of the now also defunct VStar lineup. Like the VStars, they were known for reliability and those who ride them love them. Post a pic of your rides when you get a chance!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here you go, as requested. Currently, these are the only pics I have of the little Virago. The one under the carport is from a few years ago when I was recharging the battery. I definitely like these handlebars over the ones the bike comes with today.

I live in western Washington state and, sure enough, its definitely raining outside at this moment so there won't be any opportunity to get decent outside pictures anytime soon. Neither machine has ever given me any real trouble.

Sorry that there are more Kawasaki pictures over Star pics.

Attachments

·
2,532 Posts
Nothing wrong with Kawi pics. I'm looking to upgrade my 1100 to a Road Star but I really like the Vulcan Nomad too. If I saw a good deal on one I'd probably snatch it up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree, near future I'll probably upgrade to the Vulcan Voyager, once the kid is grown and gone.

Welcome to the forum from NW Arkansas!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I inhabit five different forums (This one, vn750.com, vulcanforums, VROC, and VRA) and am a member in a sixth (Kawasaki World) that I rarely go in to because it turned out to be almost entirely sports-bike oriented. Each one has its own flavor and feel to it because of the mixture of personalities that inhabit it. Four of them use this specific format for entries, appearance and navigation (probably run by Motorcycle.com) while the other two (VROC and VRA) are different formats. The formats are minor because the jokers that reside in the forums are what really make them work.

In the brief time that I've yakked back-n-forth in here I can say this much: I like it.

I'm barely "Star" legit in that I do have a Virago in my garage but I've almost got more Yamaha-time just being in this forum than in the 14 some odd years I've owned the bike.

Be that as it may, I like it in here so if people will excuse an almost foreigner (to Yamaha) being in here, I'd like to stay a while. :)

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Virago is an interesting bike. I think I looked at a 535 about 20 years ago, but ended up not buying it.

Yamaha started on the path to cruiser bikes with the 750 3 cylinder "special". It had a slightly ranked and extended front fork, and slightly raised handlebars, making it Japans take on a chopper. The Virago bikes were their more aggressive next stab at copying a harley V twin.

Finally Yamaha decided to hire american engineers and designers and design a Vtwin in the US, for production in Japan, creating the Vstar line of bikes. Those guys went straight at it and copied an early 60s Harley bike, and created the VS650 and 1100, almost the same design, using the same engine from the Virago 535 and 1100.

Once you have gotten use to the look of the Vstar bikes, the japanese designed Virago bikes look odd.... almost like someone ran a Vstar into a brick wall and bent the frame and forks up all out of shape.

but the roots of the Vstar bikes were all there, the engines, the shaft drive... it just took some american engineers to say 'screw it, we are not pretending anymore, we are going to straight out copy a vintage HD"

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
750 Chris,
You’re a full fledged member and we’re glad you’re enjoying the forum, I’m partial in saying it’s the best bike forum going. The members are the real deal and after our first Southeast members rally last September, that proved this is the best one going.
The Viragos were bulletproof in their day and there’s still several around, and I can’t wait to finish my Virago project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts