Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I found myself at a HD shop so the Wife could look at boots for her actual size.

I really went in with an open mind and honestly was inquiring about renting one for the day in the upcoming weeks as like with most newbies I wanted to see the difference - I even made a comment to the Wife that I was scared I would like it so much that I wouldn't want to ride mine once I had done so. Well that just didn't happen

Now I will say that the 2019 in store models were VERY SHARP looking

First off, this isn't to offend anyone and I did NOT have it longer than a simple test drive so this is in no way a real pros and cons

I will say they seemed built solid but the Heritage and Road King just didn't do anything for me - 2017 and 2018 models.

I would never trade my Yamaha's for one at this point, now that 2019 Glide looked like a BAD BOY lol

The people there were very friendly and a Texas Chapter MC was there, about 45 members and again really nice people. Most were stating not to waste my money it's only a name and a couple looked down on my Yamaha pledge but I quickly reminded them that I don't like oil leaks.

My biggest takeaway was that they are more worried about us Metric guys then we are of them. They want to know if what we are riding is a HD or not - where we are simply enjoying the open road

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I was at a HD dealer right after trump took a dump on them, for opening another assembly plant in another country... europe I think? it was a big stink for a few weeks... then nothing

I thought the new Heritage looked like a nice bike, pretty similar to a Vstar 1100, except it has that long-piston throw engine.

I have a cousin that owns several vintage HD, going back to the 1930s. He's not interested in anything newer than the 1960s.

He had a 1956 and a 1963 that he rode all the time... then he refurbed them completely to original condition, and now he wont ride them, because they are worth too much money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was at a HD dealer right after trump took a dump on them, for opening another assembly plant in another country... europe I think? it was a big stink for a few weeks... then nothing

I thought the new Heritage looked like a nice bike, pretty similar to a Vstar 1100, except it has that long-piston throw engine.

I have a cousin that owns several vintage HD, going back to the 1930s. He's not interested in anything newer than the 1960s.

He had a 1956 and a 1963 that he rode all the time... then he refurbed them completely to original condition, and now he wont ride them, because they are worth too much money.
Yea a buddy keeps trying to convince me that my Road Star is the equivalent of the Heritage and while sitting on it today I thought exactly what you said - this feels like my 1100

Their following is real for sure but after today am totally convince that its like a Porsche, really more about feeling like your part of something more than the actual product being great.

It's did help in my belief of my Yamaha's

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
the real irony is Yamaha made Vstar bikes so reliable that they could not make enough money selling and servicing them, and after 20 years they dropped the line.

There are so many low mileage Vstar bikes out there, I expect to be riding a few for the rest of my life.

Hard to make a living selling motorcycles when a guy buys one, comes in once every two years for a bag of oil filters and O rings, and doesnt buy another bike for 20 years....

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

Yea a buddy keeps trying to convince me that my Road Star is the equivalent of the Heritage and while sitting on it today I thought exactly what you said - this feels like my 1100

Their following is real for sure but after today am totally convince that its like a Porsche, really more about feeling like your part of something more than the actual product being great.

It's did help in my belief of my Yamaha's
My best friend has a totally tricked out 2009 Ultra Classic (I think) that I’ve ridden a few times. It’s a full dress but the fairing is attached to the handlebars.
It’s a beautiful bike for sure, but it’s a 108 and felt small and not as sure footed on the road as my SVTC. It was fairly roomy but completely lacking in anywhere near the amenities I have. The vibration was absolutely an issue. When at a stop light idling, I felt like I was sitting on an “unbalanced washing machine” during a spin cycle!! No joke!
As far as performance and handling, not even in the same ball park as my SVTC.
I try to understand the “allure”, but I just can’t find it. Maybe I’m looking at it too much from an engineering perspective. I don’t know.
I do know that we’ve been crusing together before and swapped bikes for a while. HIS comment to me as a “die hard” HD owner.... “Why do you always have to ONE UP ME?!” I just smiled. What else can I say?
On another note, he and I are talking about doing some serious touring together but he KNOWS his HD is not the bike for it., so he’s looking at getting a used Wing (2005-2013) to use specifically for the long distance riding. He would LOVE to have an SVTC but don’t wanna spend the $$$ so he’s looking used. It says a lot about HD IMHO.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I actually felt the same way about the size and weight, felt small. I thought the King would be bigger but still didn't feel big honestly.

Now I will say i absolutely LOVED their kick stands ha ha, they are awesome - actually looking for one now for my Road Star
Well, they NEED spectacular kick stands since many of them spend a LOT of time on them! 🤣🤣
I do hate the fact my SVTC doesn’t have a center stand. I know it’s a clearance and weight issue but sure makes simple maintenance more difficult. You MUST have a lift or bike jack. Not sure what happens if you need to do something on the road.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I own a 07 Electra Glide classic with just over 100000 miles, I’ve also owned many metrics, both great bikes. I now have a V star 1100 and I know when I get it up and running it will also be a great bike...The Hassle and comparing and trash talking will always exist.. It’s the same with cars.
I say ride what makes you happy...My bike vibrates at idle but smoothes out at speed. I never had a oil leak.
I always wanted one since I was a kid and I’ve owned it since new in 07. It’s the best bike I’ve ever owned.
In the future I might own another Metric but for now, the 2 in the stable make for a good variety.
The jiffy stand on my FLHTC is da bomb...lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own a 07 Electra Glide classic with just over 100000 miles, I’ve also owned many metrics, both great bikes. I now have a V star 1100 and I know when I get it up and running it will also be a great bike...The Hassle and comparing and trash talking will always exist.. It’s the same with cars.
I say ride what makes you happy...My bike vibrates at idle but smoothes out at speed. I never had a oil leak.
I always wanted one since I was a kid and I’ve owned it since new in 07. It’s the best bike I’ve ever owned.
In the future I might own another Metric but for now, the 2 in the stable make for a good variety.
Good stuff, those new Glides are awesome looking and would love one for the long rides. They are sharp

I didn't get a chance to sit on and judge the feelings on the 2019 models of the King and Heritage and might add - I never meant they were great looking machines at all, I just expected more and maybe on a real test ride I would've had a difference of opinion

I mean again, I was expecting a Caddilac vs Accord difference so in many ways this falls back on me

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Absolutely! Ride whatever YOU like. That’s why there’s choices... it’s a lot like tastes in women. Everyone likes something different.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I love the new Milwalkee * engine in the HD. My wife had an 18 Street Glide and I fell in love with the bike. She thought it was too big for her and traded it in. Ever since I have been trying to think of a way to add one back to our stable. As you see from my other thread I found a way.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think the biggest difference is the amount of people you can get to customize, and oem parts and aftermarket parts.

It always seems like it's a crapshot for me a lot of the time. Was this part made for a metric bike, will it fit, and even if it does, was it just a redone HD part that was adjusted, and just doesn't go right with the bike.

That is one thing HD has done well though, they sell a lot of options for parts that they make for their bikes, and they all fit right, and you don't have to even look at aftermarket parts, but those are also available is huge quantities.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the new Milwalkee * engine in the HD. My wife had an 18 Street Glide and I fell in love with the bike. She thought it was too big for her and traded it in. Ever since I have been trying to think of a way to add one back to our stable. As you see from my other thread I found a way.
Those things are beautiful, they were on the floor so didn't get a chance to sit on one but they were decked out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Love going to the Harley shop and looking around. They have some great looking bikes. If I were in the market I would take a long look at the New Eluder and Venture as well. Only problem is I am not willing to pay that much for a bike. Have a Stratoliner that I love and for the money can't be beat in my opinion. Not the same bike everyone else has and it has NO payment attached. Ride what you like and like what you ride as long as you ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Money is part of my thinking when looking at new bikes.. My health is the other, my knees are getting weaker so I might end up with a Trike ora really light bike...
I like several bike including the Honda CB Standard...Some of the Triumph models appeal as well.
I probably will never buy new again, the prices are outrageous. The technology drives prices up but I think I can do with some of it.
I have been surprised at how easy my HD bagger has been to work on, very simple. After all, it’s a simple push rod technology engine, been around for a while.
Same as my V star, pretty simple When you break it down.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Love going to the Harley shop and looking around. They have some great looking bikes. If I were in the market I would take a long look at the New Eluder and Venture as well. Only problem is I am not willing to pay that much for a bike. Have a Stratoliner that I love and for the money can't be beat in my opinion. Not the same bike everyone else has and it has NO payment attached. Ride what you like and like what you ride as long as you ride.
AMEN Brutha! To be clear, HD makes a BEAUTIFUL bike! Why else would everyone else be trying to copy the style?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Money is part of my thinking when looking at new bikes.. My health is the other, my knees are getting weaker so I might end up with a Trike ora really light bike...
I like several bike including the Honda CB Standard...Some of the Triumph models appeal as well.
I probably will never buy new again, the prices are outrageous. The technology drives prices up but I think I can do with some of it.
I have been surprised at how easy my HD bagger has been to work on, very simple. After all, it’s a simple push rod technology engine, been around for a while.
Same as my V star, pretty simple When you break it down.
That’s another good point. I would bet that any HD is a lot less complicated to work on than an SVTC. I love the technology but clearly there are trade offs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am very glad you love your 2007 Harley. I always thought of Harley as a Cadillac. You are paying a good chunk of money just for the name. So after owning a very good reliable Suzuki C-50 Cruiser, I decided to get a new 2007 Heritage Softail Classic at the dealer. My neighbor had an older one and I fell in love with his. I owned the bike for some seven years and put about 80,000 miles on her cursing the whole time. I had more problems with this bike than I would like to mention. I couldn't wait to get rid of it but I did not have the funds while constantly repairing the bike. For this reason, I will NEVER own another Harley for I just can't get that bad taste out of my mouth. I was lucky enough to trade this for a used Indian Classic which was a great move. Now I own a 2018 Yamaha Eluder and this will be the last bike I ever own no matter what. Yes this bike was VERY expensive but what a ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts