Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced regulator on 02 vstar 1100 silverado with aftermarket one. Old one was only putting out 13.3v at Rev. At idle it was discharging. Stator tested ok. New regulator putting out 15.1 v at idle and up to 15.5 at Rev. Is this OK or is it going to fry my battery. Battery is probably 3yrs old. Gonna get new one soon. Battery was on charge all night before new regulator. 13.5v

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
That would be at the very top edge of the limit. One stupid thought is could the battery in your meter be old? I had one read high voltage when the battery was dying. Might be a meter calibration. If the battery gets hot it will toast.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think your charging voltage for a 12 volt battery should be around 14.4 volts. I don't know what a motorcycle normally puts out.

If the charge voltage is to high ,it could allow for to much current going into the battery. I'm pretty sure that is not a healthy condition for the battery.

For an equalizing charge voltage will be raised while limiting current to a particular amount but that's not what the bike is supposed to do.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I would check that meter 13.4 v on just the battery is a little high.
go to the car battery and system and see what the meter is reading, if close to the same I would say meter is reading high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts