Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

1) Is this normal?
On my SVTC with J&M headset bought from Yamaha.
The volume setting for speaker system only has to be set to a maximum of 4 or 5 to hear at highway speed. Any higher and will blow you out of cockpit. But my headset volume has to be cranked up to at least 10 to hear anything even sitting still.
So no way to have music on bike speakers and headset at same time. Same result with either of two headsets.

2) I am having intermittant problem switching ON sound to headset. I am having to plug in headset with bike off, switch to ACC and then to ON with the ignition to get the headset to tun ON. If I toggle headset OFF then can not toggle back on while driving. I can toggle bike speakers ON/OFF while driving???

Thanks in advance for any insight.

p.s. Taking to dealer is last resort. Do not have a good service department near me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
1) Under settings there are volume control settings for your headsets and microphone.

Don't think I can answer anymore questions but I am pretty sure that some things can only be adjusted while bike is stationary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sdunker,
Yes, there are settings for Headset volume. My problem is that the setting I set in infotainment unit or using the volume control on handlebar sets both the bike speakers and headset volume to the same number. But the setting needed for headset is way higher than bike speakers.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Hey, ChiefGunner, do the bike speakers have an amplifier that boosts the sound? I know on my brand X there is an amplifier post receiver for the speakers but the headset doesn't go thru it. The headset volumn always needs to be turned up pretty high. Kinda thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hey, ChiefGunner, do the bike speakers have an amplifier that boosts the sound? I know on my brand X there is an amplifier post receiver for the speakers but the headset doesn't go thru it. The headset volumn always needs to be turned up pretty high. Kinda thinking out loud.
I usually set my headset volume around 13-15 out of 17 total for most functions except phone. I set that at max 17 because it can get hard to hear phone calls at 65+ mph. Below that it’s fine.
There is also a volume compensation setting. This automatically increases volume due to ambient wind noise. Has low, med & high setting. I run mine on high.
The sound can be run on headset internally AND external at same time. It gives you the best surround sound effect. I run my helmet volume for music at about 13-15 and run external master volume at 6-9.
Remember that EACH function from comms to CB to radio etc EACH has there own separate volume control AND can also be selected WHERE the sound goes... ie your headset, passengers headset, BOTH and/or external speakers.
In answer to your “amplifier” question, all sound goes through the amplifier. The bike HAS capability for an “external amplifier” but I have no idea where you’d connect it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChiefGunner,
I may have a problem with my infotainment system.

When you wrote " I run my helmet volume for music at about 13-15 and run external master volume at 6-9."
- Is "master volume" the button on handlebar? If I set that above 5 the speakers on bike are so loud that it will blow me out of the cockpit.
- When I access the volume setting for headset it changes the master volume as well. Both the master volume control and the headset volume setting in infotainment system change together, whether I adjust master or headset.

Also, can the audio output to speakers / headset be toggled ON / OFF at any time? I am having to stop and switch ignition OFF then to ACC then to ON to toggle headset ON.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
ChiefGunner,
I may have a problem with my infotainment system.

When you wrote " I run my helmet volume for music at about 13-15 and run external master volume at 6-9."
- Is "master volume" the button on handlebar? If I set that above 5 the speakers on bike are so loud that it will blow me out of the cockpit.
- When I access the volume setting for headset it changes the master volume as well. Both the master volume control and the headset volume setting in infotainment system change together, whether I adjust master or headset.

Also, can the audio output to speakers / headset be toggled ON / OFF at any time? I am having to stop and switch ignition OFF then to ACC then to ON to toggle headset ON.

Thank you for your help.
Not sure about the “toggle on the fly” issue. I’ve never tried that. I just set what I wanted initially while in the garage before venturing out.
What software version are you running? You should be 12.0.6 Is that what you have? There were a lot of weird “bugs” in an earlier version.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChiefGunner,
Thank you for the reminder on software.
Yep. Had down revision in it. Have now uploaded 12.0.6. (I am a bit pissed at dealer.)The intermittant issues are gone. And "toggle on the fly" works fine.

I still need more volume out of headset or less from bike speakers. With headset audio set to 16 of 17 I still need "volume" set to 7 -8. Problem is, the loudness of bike speakers is too great at 7-8.
So, does anyone know if output to speakers can be reduced but maintain headset output?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
ChiefGunner,
Thank you for the reminder on software.
Yep. Had down revision in it. Have now uploaded 12.0.6. (I am a bit pissed at dealer.)The intermittant issues are gone. And "toggle on the fly" works fine.

I still need more volume out of headset or less from bike speakers. With headset audio set to 16 of 17 I still need "volume" set to 7 -8. Problem is, the loudness of bike speakers is too great at 7-8.
So, does anyone know if output to speakers can be reduced but maintain headset output?
Are you adjusting the “correct” headset volume setting? Remember that the volume setting for a few items can be individually set.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Two questions:

1) Is this normal?
On my SVTC with J&M headset bought from Yamaha.
The volume setting for speaker system only has to be set to a maximum of 4 or 5 to hear at highway speed. Any higher and will blow you out of cockpit. But my headset volume has to be cranked up to at least 10 to hear anything even sitting still.
So no way to have music on bike speakers and headset at same time. Same result with either of two headsets.

2) I am having intermittant problem switching ON sound to headset. I am having to plug in headset with bike off, switch to ACC and then to ON with the ignition to get the headset to tun ON. If I toggle headset OFF then can not toggle back on while driving. I can toggle bike speakers ON/OFF while driving???

p.s. Taking to dealer is last resort. Do not have a good service department near me.
Mine does the same thing. Believe it was designed that way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Two questions:

--

As to the problem with when the headset is on, I found that mine is not always constant. I've had the best luck in plugging in the helmet cord, turning the ignition on, then waiting for the info center warning to 'warm up' to which I press 'enter'. Then the headset will usually be activated. Perhaps the system takes a few moments to get its checks done.

I've tried all combinations of speakers. What I'm doing now is to leave the radio on all the time, but just put the speakers on mute when I don't want to listen. They seem to stay on better. I will try to report more in several weeks as I haven't ridden it much at all this spring yet (like this week is cloudy and wet every day).

As to dealer knowledge, I have a new dealer that I'm giving more of a try with. The dealer in Arizona where I bought the bike had trouble even knowing how to start it up. But that was only part of their unfamiliarity.

--

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi folks,
Sorry for not responding sooner.

ChiefGunner,
Yes, I am adjusting the various settings for headset volume and bike speaker volume correctly.
My problem/desire is that I need more decibels from headset with fewer decibels from bike speakers.
I had hoped there may be an adjustment on amplifier for this.
Hopefully someone with the expertise to solve this will post a solution.

RonK,
Since I updated software to12.0.6 the connection and toggling have all workind fine.

Thank you all for the inputs.
Gary

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hi folks,
Sorry for not responding sooner.

ChiefGunner,
Yes, I am adjusting the various settings for headset volume and bike speaker volume correctly.
My problem/desire is that I need more decibels from headset with fewer decibels from bike speakers.
I had hoped there may be an adjustment on amplifier for this.
Hopefully someone with the expertise to solve this will post a solution.

RonK,
Since I updated software to12.0.6 the connection and toggling have all workind fine.

Thank you all for the inputs.
Gary
Actually Gary, that was me who suggested you verify your software version but that’s ok. As long as you did it. Everybody contributed! 😁

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys,
I apoligize. I was responding to multiple posts.

Chief, yes you brought up software and I had posted earlier that it fixed issue.
When I mentioned software to RonK , I was just restating the fix.

And you all are there in spirit.

I just hope that in the future I can help someone out with thier struggles.

Gary

·
Registered
105 Posts
--

This will be of no help, but I can't figure out how to change the volume level of the main speakers separately from the headset either. I just mostly use the headset. There are some individual adjustments for Sirius on level of bass and treble, but not volume. You can also change which speaker are activated, but not the volume for each. Anyway, I can't either.

--

1 - 16 of 16 Posts