Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has 7700 miles and started making a noise that appears to be coming from the rear drive. I first notice it above 20 mph, in all gears, accelerating, holding constant, decelerating and coasting (clutch in). Sound is like a small pebble bouncing around inside the case. I need to do more diagnostics, but my first inclination is a bearing failure. A quick google reveals a common bearing failure in the gear case. Some quick questions: does anyone have access to the actual bearing numbers used (some prices look hefty on part sites); is Clymers or Haynes a better repair manual; are special tools required or can the average bear tackle the job? I greased all the splines at 7000 miles and the gear case is full of oil. I plan to get a stethoscope and run the bike on my lift to see if I can locate the source of the noise. thanks.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
maybe there is something loose inside the gear side or the drum brake side

but I would think anything loose in there would bounce around at low speeds, and get pinned to the wall at higher RPMs

you can google Yamaha V Star 650 Factory Service Manual, and find it online as a free pdf download

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KCW. Thanks, already have owner and shop manuals and all OEM parts diagrams. What worries me are posts #1 and #13 discussed on this site... https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?28581-My-VStar-650-Final-drive-story.
Seems like they are pointing at bearing no.10. on the attached diagram being a common failure. Ever heard of it? https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/v-star-650-silverado-xvs65atw/drive-shaft. Sorry for the links.. couldnt find a way to copy/paste.

·
Registered
73 Posts
did you check the coupler spline between the drive shaft and the differential.This is a common spline to miss. You have to take the 4 bolt nose off of the differential. also grease the rubber boot with the spring that the drive shaft goes thru. If it is not lubed it will create a groove in the drive shaft allowing water,sand and other nasty things into that coupler. I have replaced that coupler twice, the drive shaft once and the differential once. All of my failures were inside that nose. ( this was over the course of 120k miles on my XVS 650) and they were all spline failures , when that coupler is starting to go, it will pop and rumble at all speeds. It will also have slack between drive shaft and differential that you can feel with someone holding rear brake and you trying to turn drive shaft by hand using channel locks on the drive shaft. There is nothing worse then sitting at a light , letting out the clutch and having that coipler let go . It is a horrible noise that you would swear the whole world is coming apart right under you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you check the coupler spline between the drive shaft and the differential.This is a common spline to miss. You have to take the 4 bolt nose off of the differential. also grease the rubber boot with the spring that the drive shaft goes thru. If it is not lubed it will create a groove in the drive shaft allowing water,sand and other nasty things into that coupler. I have replaced that coupler twice, the drive shaft once and the differential once. All of my failures were inside that nose.
thanks for the feedback Jspree. Yes, I did pull back the cone, removed coupler, cleaned out all old grease and re-lubed all splines with Loctite 80-12. You have given me several more things to check. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
if the wheel bearings are suspect you can also check for play or wobble in the wheel, with the tire off the ground

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the wheel bearings are suspect you can also check for play or wobble in the wheel, with the tire off the ground
thanks.. already on my checklist below. Hope to get 'er done first day of warmer weather... maybe next week.
[ ] Isolate noise w/stethoscope
[ ] Replace drive gear oil, check for metal
[ ] check runout/wheel play- dial indicator
[ ] Check for Loose spokes
[ ] Universal joint nut tight
[ ] check universal bearings
[ ] Spring clips secure on boots
[ ] Check coupler slop- hold brake, twist drive shaft
[ ] inspect universal to drive shaft spline
[ ] inspect drive Shaft to coupler spline
[ ] inspect coupler to pinion shaft splines
[ ] inspect final drive splines
[ ] check pinion shaft bearings
[ ] check rear wheel bearings
[ ] check for loose brake parts
[ ] check for bent axle shaft
[ ] Assembly verification- all parts, right order
[ ] Lube seal- cone to drive shaft
[ ] Lube hub spacer on axle bolt
[ ] drive to wheel hub alignment-add shims if needed
[ ] Final drive torquing sop

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
only think I can add to your list: make sure nothing is loose under the fender, like a cable dragging on the wheel, or a saddle bag mount bolt....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
if I don't fix the noise, I may have to take up drinking (a lot!). Have a favorite beer to recommend?😋
Not really i am a beer sewer not connoisseur. I have learned to expand my horizon. BlueMoon from miller is a good go to beer. Daily drinkers Coors Light, Bushlight.Leininkugles has a vast array of good beers Honey Weiss Summer Shanty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts