Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 vstar 1100 classic that I am finally ready to start messing with (had since 07). I am looking to turn it into a bobber and I have been looking at some great bikes online that I would like to emulate. Blue Collar bobbers comes up a lot, and while some of their stuff is ok, I am not sure I love all the options. I am currently sourcing an exhaust shop to build a 2 into 1 for me, but I am curious about where people find other stuff. Specifically new bars and rims. I would like to do a drag bar and spoke rims (black rims, chrome spokes).

http://s855.photobucket.com/user/philleee/media/DSC_0454_zpsbe01fef3.jpg.html

This bike, posted to the vstar bobber sticker, is really a beautiful, ideal bike to me. It has a lot of the features I would love to do to my bike. Thanks for any suggestions guys. As I get moving I'll start posting pics.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just about any 1" handlebar will fit, as will just about any 4 piece riser. There are hundreds of vendors out there. Just pick what you like.

If you have cast wheels and want spoked wheels, just offer to trade your cast ones for spoked ones from another 1100. Then you can buy chrome spokes and have the wheel painted and reassembled.

As for other "bobber" pieces, most are made or altered to fit. There are a few kits out there, but they tend to be expensive and all look pretty the same.....which is really not a big deal if you like the look.

The bike in the pic is a Road Star, which is quite a bit different than a V Star. They fabricated a Sportster tank to fit among other things. It can all be done depending on your skills or the depth of your wallet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As mentioned above, the idea is to find the parts you like and make them work on your ride. The handlebars are 1" dia, so when looking for bars that is all you have to really keep in mind. Then when you buy new grips remember the dia. of your bars.

The wheels may cost you a pretty sum. I was going to do the same as what you were thinking. Have the wheels torn down, powder coat the rims and the spokes separately (red rims, black spokes) and have them re-laced and trued. If I remember right it was close to $500 a wheel because you have to buy new spokes, new nipples but it was really the labor to put it all back together.

2 things to keep in mind on your project:

1. It's all about making it your own. Fabrication, Fabrication...........don't expect all of your parts that you buy that say will fit Vstar to fit perfectly, plan on some struggles and some frustration.

2. Don't expect to sell your bike for what you have into when you want to move on.

Other then that have fun and can't wait to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I definitely don't want just off the shelf parts. But I am not really sure where to start looking I guess. Obviously I am pretty naive about the whole thing. Its good to know that any 1 inch bars will fit, because when I've look at sites they seem to say otherwise. I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous about the entire undertaking because I am so clueless. Luckily, the bobber is more about removing parts than adding. Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I don't mess this up too much

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
175 Posts
you will be fine. Take your time and I took a lot of pics as I was pulling stuff apart so I knew how it goes back together. Also buy yourself a service manual. That way you have all of the torque specs and wiring diagrams.

If you buy stuff from Blue Collar, they will include a DVD on how to put it together. I have to admit that I am not totally pleased with their stuff but it sure does make life easier.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks guys. I definitely don't want just off the shelf parts. But I am not really sure where to start looking I guess. Obviously I am pretty naive about the whole thing. Its good to know that any 1 inch bars will fit, because when I've look at sites they seem to say otherwise. I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous about the entire undertaking because I am so clueless. Luckily, the bobber is more about removing parts than adding. Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I don't mess this up too much

Actually on the bars, even 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" thick will fit if you also change the risers. Some guys like the look of a fatter bar. My apes are 1 1/4" custom made stainless steel.

SS Custom Cycle has some fenders too and Shane is good to deal with. Tim at Metric Magic is also a good one for various things.

The bobber is about removing parts to a certain extent, but also adding different parts.

My bike is a bobber now only because I haven't had time to get my fenders done yet. But it doesn't look too bad as it is. Lots of custom parts including front wheel, headlight, seat.....and too many other things to mention. Lots of trial and error...but most of the parts are super cheap so money investment is minimal. $99 on the wheel with rotor, $40 on the headlight, seat was basically free because I did it all myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you will be fine. Take your time and I took a lot of pics as I was pulling stuff apart so I knew how it goes back together. Also buy yourself a service manual. That way you have all of the torque specs and wiring diagrams.

If you buy stuff from Blue Collar, they will include a DVD on how to put it together. I have to admit that I am not totally pleased with their stuff but it sure does make life easier.
I've heard mixed things about blue collar stuff. I will admit though, the DVD walkthrough made it very tempting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts