Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 vstar 1100, kawasaki vulcan s 650
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says I'm very curious about the Vstar 1100's throttle sensitivity and how others feel it. I'm used to my Vulcan s650's throttle response which is easy and smooth, to the point where I can twist it almost all the way down with just my thumb and index finger, Comparing that to my Vstar and pulling that off is a little hard on the wrist, I've lubed my throttle cables up so I'm not sure if I'm just being picky or if there's something awry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like it make's it a little harder to control the throttle when riding it if that's the case then, maybe I've got a case of a screwy tps sensor hmm.

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha 1300 Tourer
2 Posts
Not sure if the 1100 has the same issue as the 1300 but Read the article listed under
1300 Ivan's ECU Flash
It explains the throttle sensitivity issue in depth and how it can be corrected by flashing the ECU.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,539 Posts
Sensitivity, to me, would have to do with throttle response. I did have issues with that, but it has been fixed.

But I think the OP is asking about the physical torque it requires to turn the throttle. That would have something to do with the cables, or the butterflies in the carbs. I suggest taking a look at cable routing, no sharp bends, make sure you still have both push and pull cables, and are the bars the original or have they been changed to some taller bars. Might just need to lube the cables. Even the grip itself might be tight in the housing.

TPS sensor would not cause this IMO. If you saw that tiny little thing you would agree. I guess it could be gummed up, but does not seem possible to a degree that you would notice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sensitivity, to me, would have to do with throttle response. I did have issues with that, but it has been fixed.

But I think the OP is asking about the physical torque it requires to turn the throttle. That would have something to do with the cables, or the butterflies in the carbs. I suggest taking a look at cable routing, no sharp bends, make sure you still have both push and pull cables, and are the bars the original or have they been changed to some taller bars. Might just need to lube the cables. Even the grip itself might be tight in the housing.

TPS sensor would not cause this IMO. If you saw that tiny little thing you would agree. I guess it could be gummed up, but does not seem possible to a degree that you would notice.
Sorry for the slow response, I was busy, But yes I do mean physical torque it takes to turn the throttle I've recently replaced my cables as the motorcycle had been sitting for a couple of years the handlebars are V-factor riser drag bars from S&P I believe, I tried to mimic OEM cable routing using whatever pictures I could find of them and made sure there were no bends in it, but I did notice that the grip tore into the old cables and wore down the point where the housing and cables meet which was my reason to replace both the grip and cable.

·
Registered
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
21 Posts
I find the Vulcan s throttle to be too sensitive almost a little twitchy to me. My V Star is very similar to my wife’s Honda Shadow. Much easier to control and keep consistent in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts