Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2003 VStar 1100 classic in the spring. The bike currently has 63,000 kms on it. The bike runs great and performs well on the road. The oil needs changed and I will be doing that later this week.

The question I have pertains to what I am going to call a "growl" when accelerating the bike. I would like to get an idea as to whether this normal. I notice it more in 2nd and 3rd gear and it seems to smooth out in 4th and 5th. There is also a ticking noise, which I think is just that the valves need adjusted.

Is there anything I should be doing to a bike with higher kms to maintain it better, or is standard maintenance fine.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
the growl is the engine telling you that it loves you.

On my 650 in 4th gear at about 55 to 60mph I think its the air pulsing through the intake box, and again at 70mph in 5th gear WFO.

the reason I think its the stock air intake is I can really hear it with the windshield on the bike, reflects the engine sound up to my helmet but not the exhaust sound.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Ticking is normal. Adjust your valves and it might lessen some but it's just the nature of the beast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts