Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys had something happen to me the past couple of times out riding. After I have been riding a while, when we stop,occasionally when I go to restart bike it floods itself(smell of gas,small amount of residual coming from breather). Happened once last week, and twice yesterday. Any ideas.
PS
I am in NC and it was warm 72-80 degrees when this happened.
I also ran a few ounces of seaform though the tank (installed in the winter),but that was 3 tank fulls ago.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fr the replies, the bike runs flawless. Just when you stop when its hot.

I did notice the day that it did it twice, when I got to house after about 5 minutes I went in garage and heard a low hist sound...went and leaned over gas tank and air noise coming from cap. Removed cap and heard a big release of air. First time I have ever heard that when taking off cap.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing on hot days in Texas IE 105 and hotter.

It quit though once I cleaned my bowls out really well with some B12 carb cleaner and put them back together. I think one of the bowls was getting stuck open from hot gas expanding in there with no where to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same problem with mine last night. Hottest day in awhile, and my garage was boiling. Guess I'll be cleaning carbs today. Lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 650 would flood on the rear cylinder due to a messed up Float needle assembly. So look into the floats/float needle rubber maybe not sealing up the hole properly!

Is it just the one flooding, or both? (if its really flooding, you'll get fuel spitting out of one pipe or both, depending)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a common venting problem on these bikes. I simply carry an extra key. When it happens I open the gas cap, give it a minute and fire it up. Close the cap and go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
looking at the parts diagram for 1100, I see that there is a vent hose and a "rollover" valve.(IS this true) I cant find them on the bike...I am wondering if the rollover valve is stuck closed.

Went on a 110 miles last weekend and bike sit in the parking lot for an 1.5 hours.(sun) When we started to gear up, I could hear very loud hissing from tank. I removed cap...hissing stop, put cap back on and in 1 minutes started hissing again. Is this normal? Didn't notice this at all last year in the summer, or year before. Bike ran fine though...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
looking at the parts diagram for 1100, I see that there is a vent hose and a "rollover" valve.(IS this true) I cant find them on the bike...I am wondering if the rollover valve is stuck closed.

Went on a 110 miles last weekend and bike sit in the parking lot for an 1.5 hours.(sun) When we started to gear up, I could hear very loud hissing from tank. I removed cap...hissing stop, put cap back on and in 1 minutes started hissing again. Is this normal? Didn't notice this at all last year in the summer, or year before. Bike ran fine though...
It's normal...especially if you park in the sun.....gas expands and pushes the vapors out the vent.

Tank vent hose crap is Cali only.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hey guys had something happen to me the past couple of times out riding. After I have been riding a while, when we stop,occasionally when I go to restart bike it floods itself(smell of gas,small amount of residual coming from breather). Happened once last week, and twice yesterday. Any ideas.
PS
I am in NC and it was warm 72-80 degrees when this happened.
I also ran a few ounces of seaform though the tank (installed in the winter),but that was 3 tank fulls ago.
It's usually a vapor lock from the carbs getting hot sitting there after shutting down. It can force fuel back out the wrong way like that. Usually if you just hold the starter button down for up to 25-30 seconds....it'll fire. I went to pods years ago and have never had that issue since...nor have I ever had to use the choke. Some have just jumped up a size on the pilots had cured the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hot Start Problem

I had this problem all last year. I still haven't found a complete fix for it. I took apart the carbs and did a deep clean, still had the same problem. The floats were fine, nothing was clogged, everything was just fine but it would still flood and have trouble starting. The gas cap could be the problem, I have not tried a new one or after market gas cap but it could be it. Here is my youtube video and in the section comments myself and others are going through the problem. The actual video is a starter clutch issue, but we talk about the hot start as well. The other video is the hot start problem. Good luck. So far I haven't had a problem this year...yet. The only difference is I have the battery hooked up to a trickle charger at all times. Someone said it could be the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the bike when hot. Is yours hooked up?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's usually a vapor lock from the carbs getting hot sitting there after shutting down. It can force fuel back out the wrong way like that. Usually if you just hold the starter button down for up to 25-30 seconds....it'll fire. I went to pods years ago and have never had that issue since...nor have I ever had to use the choke. Some have just jumped up a size on the pilots had cured the issue.
The pod kits, are they much louder? Air intake noise. Also what is your gas mileage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The hot start issue is a "known" issue on the ( I believe) 06 and up bikes. My "fix" is to flip the gas to the off position when I get ready to shut down... I let the bike idle while I park the bike, remove helmet, etc. It seem to burn enough fuel to alleviate the vapor lock. When restarting, commit, and do not let off until it starts, also do not twist the throttle... It will refire, the engine may turn over 15-20 times before it starts, but it will.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The pod kits, are they much louder? Air intake noise. Also what is your gas mileage.
Yes they are louder...but the 10 HP increase makes any of those issues seem quite trivial. I just got louder pipes so I don't notice it one little bit.

I have never measured my fuel mileage, it varies a lot with the terrain and the weather I ride in. Generally speaking I may fill up about 10 miles sooner on a tank full...again quite trivial considering the performance increase.

The best advice you've been given in the thread so far is on your starting procedure and that's been mentioned several times. You really just need to hold the starter button down until it starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was having this same issue, and i cleaned out the air filter on the air inductor right above the fuel pump and it worked wonders for me. I was getting flooded after 20-30mins riding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, after I tighten the screws on the gas cap it has not flooded any more.
It still has venting "sound" on hot days but bike is running fine. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts