Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive got an 07 1100 with a little over 10,000 miles on it....owned it since it was brand new. I had the oil and filter changed about a month ago, and took it on a 800 mile weekend trip about 2 weeks ago. Ran fine, no problems all weekend.

So im riding home from work last night, and the low oil light comes on. I get home, let it sit and cool down for a while....go out and check the oil and its reading low on the sight glass.

I dont smell any burning oil, dont see any oil anywhere that may be leaking...

Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are you using the same oil? Some vapor off more than others. How do your plugs look? I had the same thing happen. You will get some sucked into the air cleaner along with the crankcase ventilation. Especially on long trips. You'll always get some pooling of oil in the valve area, but on short trips it gets a chance to drain down. On longer trips, tank to tank, the oil doesn't have a chance to drain down, so it gets sucked in to the intake. Not so much as you'd notice a smell or even see it on your plugs, but consumed all the same. This is normal. The reason I said to check your plugs, is the very outside chance something else is going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fulltilt...

I will give the plugs a look when i get home from work this afternoon. Thanks for your reply.

The guy who did my oil did put in a different weight oil because of the long trip, and I have another long one planned for a few weeks from now...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Take a little bit longer breaks, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What oil viscosity did he use?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Who changed the oil?

I wonder if it was a motorcycle dealer that changed your oil. Could he have added the wrong amount of oil or used the sight glass to judge the level? The sight glass can be confusing. You might think about starting over. If he used the right amount and kind of oil it just doesn't seem you should have had trouble.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.