Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Vstar 1100 Restore - Questions + pics

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ridgwayrescue 
#1 ·
Hello all,
bought my first star a few weeks back. 2002 with 28k on it. Been sitting outside so chrome is pretty rough...starting a restore. Here's what I've done so far.

If you have any parts for sale or links to parts, please let me know.
I am looking for any types of covers, or chrome pieces possible. Also looking for windshield mount as it's pretty rusted beyond restoration. We've done a pretty good with the chrome so far and the wheels. Biggest Eye sore are the pipes. All in all - runs fantastic - have done 500 miles on it so far. Picked it up for $1000! Let me know what you think/ any suggestions of parts or restoration ideas you have. Thanks!

P.S. Hopefully I did the images right. First post

Day 1:

After Some Man hours and elbow grease with a little help from 0000 steel wool and chrome cleaner/ sealer heres what she's looking like!:

See less See more
#4 ·
Just a quick thought.... soak any chrome items that you want to try to salvage in a bin of Metal Rescue. (can pick it up at Lowes) I had a couple of backrest brackets I got for cheap.... soaked overnight and they turned out really good. The trick is to find a product to prevent the rust from coming back. I'm trying a rubdown of Sheila Shine right now.... doesn't look like it will hold up, so the search continues.

(Assuming I uploaded the images correctly) You can see the before and after pics below. No scrubbing involved. I just let the parts soak for 24 hours.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.