Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Vstar classic 1100
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’ve recently come into ownership of my first Vstar. I had no issues when I got the bike, but in the last week I’ve been running into a starting issue. I turn the key on and everything acts normal. Then when I go to hit the starter switch it might turn once and then all I hear is ticking until I let off. I am however able to roll start the bike first try. I grabbed a meter and tested the battery to see if it’s losing any charge and it doesn’t seem to be. I also just replaced the battery when the issue arose. The previous owner said that he recently replaced the starter clutch. Anything past that I don’t know where to start. What advice do you have and what should I try to test in order to hopefully fix the issue?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
I would check the battery ground cable to bike. It's infamous for corrosion there. What was actual battery voltage with bike off, then on, then while cranking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I had been trying to work through a couple things the battery with the bike off is at 10.3 volts, on it’s at 9.3, and hitting the starter it drops to 5.7

·
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,492 Posts
Very low battery voltage. I would charge battery and have it load tested. It wouldn't be the first "new" battery that was bad.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
A good battery fully charged should read atleast 12 v, if you are not getting that , you have problems

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m wondering if I should end up pulling everything apart and start checking connections with the multimeter. But I don’t know where to start or which parts to actually test

·
14,492 Posts
Battery is currently to low to confirm any testing. Strongly suggest to only attempt to test with fully charged battery to ensure you are getting accurate diagnosis.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot

With fully charged, tested battery, I would check voltage on battery side of starter solenoid, should show almost the exact same voltage that battery has. Then check voltage on starter side on solenoid when cranking bike. Voltage might drop to high 11 volt while cranking, if more, either faulty starter, poor condition of connections or engine damage.

Reactions: Jspree

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Genuine question on testing the solenoid. How exactly is that done? Key on or off, positive to positive, negative negative to negative or positive to negative vice versa?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also now having battery at full charge it starts with no issue same as when I bought the new battery. From the knowledge that I have it seems as though there’s a possible charging issue. Like I mentioned it will start and run. However when I hold the throttle slightly open the voltage doesn’t rise it stays the same

·
14,492 Posts
Great you got the starting issue cured. Here's a good charging test for the 1100. PDF attached below.

Font Parallel Number Document Screenshot

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Tire

Circuit component Font Parallel Cable Screenshot

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Brand

Rectangle Parallel Font Schematic Diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Being it is an 1100 the voltage regulator is usually what fails first and the most often. Pull it off and visually inspect the back side and see if it looks cooked. It should be nice and shiny black. If it is graying in color that means it is over heated

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Being it is an 1100 the voltage regulator is usually what fails first and the most often. Pull it off and visually inspect the back side and see if it looks cooked. It should be nice and shiny black. If it is graying in color that means it is over heated
Kinda like this one.
It passed all the ohm tests but 30 sec in the bike and it would stop charging.
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Road surface Concrete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts