Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very slow leak of coolant under crankcase, to left of old drain plug. There is a silver bracket with a hole in it that looks like it may be a drain, but I have ever seen coolant drops hanging from it like I did today when changing oil.

Looked for it on the crankcase parts fiche but don't even see it referenced.

Here it is:

As per design or part needed?

Thanks!

·
Banned
137 Posts
I was told that was an oil breather for the engine. When you get a lot of pressure built up in your engine then the extra pressure will exit the engine out of this tube. The only thing you should see on here is a oil film. Jim MN

·
Registered
17 Posts
The weep hole can leak coolant or oil. Wipe it off an keep a eye on it. If it keeps leaking it could be a bad water pump. I got this info off another forum.2 of them had bad water pumps an it cost $1400.to have the water pump replace.

·
Registered
845 Posts
What old Joe said,

If an automobile water pump leaks, it just drips into the road. The 1300 has a combination water pump/oil pump inside the oil pan.

The place where you are noticing the coolant "drip" is a weep hole, it is quite normal, maybe better said common to have a small amount/trace of coolant at the weep hole.
However of course if you start to see more and more leaking and actually see your coolant levels drop then you have a bad water pump.

The purpose of the weep hole is just for that reason, should you have the water pump which is in the oil pump fail, the coolant safety drains out of the weep hole instead of inside your oil pan.

With all the above said I am NOT an expert on this issue. I think I MAY have also read that you could get lucky to only need a new O Ring ... Im not sure.
I am sure of one thing, in most cases I would not think to much about it, its common for a little coolant to be there, its another thing if you actually start noticing drip marks under the bike or coolant level going low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts