Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a new (used) 2007 VSTAR 1300 and on my ride home, it began running rough and was running out of gas. I added fuel and it got better, but has returned. The seller told me it had been sitting for 7 month prior to my purchase so I imagine it is a bad gas problem. I want to drain the old gas and replace the filter. I can't find the filter! Even looked in the manual and don't see one. Can anyone tell me where to find the filter and how to drain the secondary tank? Or any other place bad fuel may be hanging around?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
There is no filter.. it's a screen in the sub tank fuel pump located under the seat on the right. You'd have to pull the fuel pump to check the screen. I'd be also looking at the spark plugs for corrosion from sitting. bad plugs can cause all sorts of weird issues and destroy your exhaust cat if it has one still. Look the bike over for a tune up.. Plugs..maybe wires.. oil and filter change.. air filter..

To drain the secondary tank you'll have to pull the fuel pump as well.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50046641f8700209bc795ed6/fuel-tank

Have a look at the parts break down to better understand :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice. Thank you for confirming that there is not a filter. I was losing my mind looking for it.
Stay tuned and I will tell you how it turns out. It seems to be a low end problem. kind of clears up with a wide open throttle.
Strange...

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could also try adding seafoam to the fuel to help clean the system and the injectors.. Or a just a good quality fuel injection cleaner.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
MRDub beat me to it - Im starting to sound like a parrot - this time of year everyone needs to put some sea foam in their first couple tanks of fuel.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,398 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts