Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..

My Motor cycle 2012 vstar 1300 tourer, lately behaving odd, it gets high idle after 10 mins of ride, it is both when you pull the clutch or put into neutral. Very annoying, any suggestion?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello... it has cobra exhaust and was installed when I got it 4 years back. So if so it might have it. How would I check? So would that gone bad? Spark plug is due planning to replace it soon

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
hi idle can be caused by a vacuum leak, by a failed throttle position sensor (if your bike has one). If its fuel injected then the map sensor or temp sensors can throw it out of wack.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,051 Posts
The New members introduction thead is for everyone to get to know you, new rider, New bike, etc. If you post your bikes issue in Vstar forum with as much detail as possible I'm sure you will get more exposure and replies. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/7-starbikeforums-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/5655-yammy-ya-got.html?highlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/110258-where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/25113-how-experienced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/36-lounge/113714-how-mature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Im pretty sure your bike is fuel injected. You need to look between the throttle bodies and the intake manifolds to the cylinders. If you spray the area with WD40 while the engine is idling, and the idle speed changes, then the spray has hit an intake (vacuum) leak and sucked the fluid in like fuel.

check any hoses in that area, and the caps on the short tubes you would normally attach a vacuum gauge to. Sometimes those crack or fall off.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
searching on other high idle problems that have come up in the last year, one bike had a bad ignition module (he called it the 'igniter'). That does not happen very often.

It was advancing the timing when the bike was idling. That can also happen if the throttle position sensor or wire has failed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just side note: My motor cycle has Cobra Exhaust, and looks like it does not have Fuel management system: fi2000, do you think this would help? Any pointers helpful. Will spray oil soon.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, for delay in responding, I could not find obvious any vacuum leak, and I asked mechanic, they also could not figure it out at all , says there are no vacuum leak, what should I do next? Live with ti?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,051 Posts
Try undoing your battery and let sit for a few minutes. This should reset the ecm. All your parameters will. It's kinda like resetting your phone. I have seen it work before.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The key tool for servicing a fuel injected engine is the OBD II type of controller interface

it will tell you what every sensor is seeing and what the controller is doing. If it thinks the throttle position is wrong, the MAP sensor is off, the intake air temp is -45F... it will all be right there.

Is there something similar for a fuel injected motorcycle ECM? is it the same OBD II port?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure, this certainly happens after engine get warmed up. I did spark plug and filter change and oil change and checked for vacuum leak, noting worked. Hope some expert will help me. Problem is every shops keep my bike for few days and cannot figure it out but they do charge me number of hours. It does not make sense to me. If they cannot find the problem in an hour should I really pay? Another shop asked me to send them a service manual to set the idle but I told them this is fule inejcted there is no way to set the idle :).

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
if its heat related I would suspect a temperature sensor on the fuel injection system

if a sensor is failed and reading low, it would flood the engine when its cold and start ok, but as the engine warms up it would keep giving it too much fuel and then start acting up

Dont know what the bike has for sensors, on a car Air Intake and engine water temp are both used by the fuel injection controller to map the correct amount of fuel to squirt.

That is something than an OBD II reader should be able to display, if you can connect it while the bike is running and acting up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
yea, I'd check the host from the Air Intake to the motor though I suspect the mechanics would have done this. Also try a carb sync. Is it very hot where you are riding?

I had a similar problem last summer on my 1100 that magically went away. I don't know if it was because it was so hot outside or if the carb sync I did shortly after it happened caused it to stop. I guess I'll find out this summer when it gets hot again.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
from working on fuel injected cars, they start up in open loop mode and idle fast while the engine warms up, the switch to closed loop mode

A common problem with older FI cars is the sensors in the intake body get gooped up. Spraying the intake throttle body with a cleaner (made for throttle bodies, or Seafoam in a spritz bottle) very often cures hunting idle problems on fuel injected cars...

also.. did you replace your air filter, or was that an oil filter you referred to? Motorcycle FI controllers are fuel/air mapped for a new air filter. If yours is not paper white i would replace it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts