Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vstar 650 i am having an issue with my battery not keeping a charge.
I went for ride, got about a block away from home and the bike just shut off..i checked the fuses. They were fine. Went to start the bike, my battery was dead. I pushed the bike back home and put on charger. Within 5 to 10 mins.on charge, The bike started fine.
Go back out next day. My batterys dead. Ao i replaced the rectifier. Battery still wouldnt keep charge i looked around on youtube, watched some.videos about the stator. I replaced the stator and pickup coil, and bought a new battery. So in all, i replaced rectifier. Stator, and pickup, replaced battery . Thought SURELY i have the pblm fixed now! Well todayni decided to take a ride. Was riding and bam the bike cut out once like the ignition was shut off then turned back on real fast ( juat cut out for a second) then i go about 200 ft and the dang thing just shut off again like before!!!
I have it hauled home, put on charger for about 5 to 10 mins and started right up..
The guy who hauled it home mentioned the starter maybe has an alternator built in...is that a possible solution to my problem? Ive already spent 500.00 and still have the same dang pblm...only thing i have not replaced is the cdi box, starter, and the two coils under the tank..any suggestions guys? Multimeter said 13.94 to 14.00 after stator was installed. But now hangs around low 12.4 to mid 12 .9...it did get to 13.0 v. When i revved motor today after charging. But oa 12.4 to 12.6 S o can someone guide me to where the problem is? Thank e1 for your help and suggestions.imnabout ready to say he k withcot and take it yamaha shop n let THEM figure out whats goin on. THANKS

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,129 Posts
I read a lot of parts replacement. Did you test the components before replacement? What were the readings? Have you checked the ground to bike? Have you checked for voltage draw on each fused circuit? "Starter maybe has an alternator built in" , might want to be cautious following that guidance. Here's link to some testing, let us know what you find. New parts don't always mean good parts, especially the more cost effective, off shore units.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Les. I got my stator parts from partzilla, oem. After getting the stator installed. Multimeter read 13.78. I revved motor (no tach) but meter went to 14.00...that was last week. It left me stranded yesterday long the road. Cut out 1 time then just died. When i went to push starter to restart , i had nothing. Got the bike back home. Charged it for 5 or 10 mins and it started real easy....but after leaving it on charge. I checked it awhile ago and battery it up mid 13s. With engine off. But when i syart it it usually makes it aroumd 13.2 maybe 13.4. Never 13.5.
I just checked with yamaha dealer, they said sounds like ignition switch. Bc otherwise if it was the charging system, it would never charge back up within 5 to 10 minutes which makes sense....im ata loss and 500.00 in the hole so far .. as for rectifier. Per yamaha dealer, i pitched the ebay one and put oem back on . But will need to check that one. Or just replace it. But first will check ignition.like they said. Thanks for all your help .i hope to get this fixed soon. Pulling my hair out tryin to find the cause. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts