Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
A few years ago i bought a project vstar 650 for 1000 dollars. Im finally getting around to building it now. I put everything together and figured i might as well go all out so i tore the bike back apart this spring.
The frame is getting chopped in mass. right now, going for curved duel downtubes and single curved backbone. Basically a nice prostreet build. Already made the exhaust, but might change them once the frame shows up so they curve up. Single carb setup using cv40. Alot of other stuff i still need to figure out, just patiently waiting for the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the frame back. Single curved backbone and dual curved downtube.

tank

Roller chassis with rear fender on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ahh I checked around a bit and I see the problem now. It looks like the VStar has a "double back bone" which would limit the options on tanks. Anyway your bike is really looking good.k

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little bit of an update. Single carb on and headlight. I got distracted by starting to build a garage in my backyard so not much progress, hopefully this winter there will be.

Going to build my own handlebars for the first time, so I mocked up a set. The flat 16 gauge steel will be at least 3/8" thick and cnc cut to a curve to match the curves of the backbone and downtubes. Wanted something a little different but also with a comfortable reach.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sweet looking build! I'm not a custom bike guy so please forgive my ignorance in these questions. How does a tank like that work? Does it have two outlets? And how do you fill both halves? It looks like the backbone separates the tank into two?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet looking build! I'm not a custom bike guy so please forgive my ignorance in these questions. How does a tank like that work? Does it have two outlets? And how do you fill both halves? It looks like the backbone separates the tank into two?
There is one gas cap, and one petcock just like on a normal bike. However, there is a crossover tube that is run between the 2 tank halves out of view. I have not made mine yet but basically it just allows the fuel to flow to each side of the tank.

For my tank I had two threaded bungs welded in . I will get some stainless tubing and attach some banjo fittings (like on your brakes) and just screw them in. This will allow the fuel on the non-petcock side to get to the other.

Hope that explains it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been awhile since I posted anything. Ran out of garage space so had to build a larger shed to be able to work on anything, so that took all spring.

Updates to the bike. Created a little bracket to put a spike coil mount on the left side of the bike.

Got some brackets plasma cut and have the footpegs mocked up where i want them. These are universal footpegs I got for xmas years ago. I also hated that kickstand so I'm going with a rear mounted one which ended up working way better than i thought.

Next up are the handlebars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been awhile since i've logged in, been more of a lurker. Here are some updated pictures. Made the linkages, handlebars, and then sent everything off to powdercoat. Right now, basically just waiting on the paint to get back to wrap it all up. Rewiring the bike was not fun with all the safety switches and such to bypass, took way longer than expected.

Back from powdercoat. Matte black with some blue.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good work there. So how does she ride? Looks like she is sitting pretty low. In the last incomplete pics you posted that rear swing arm looks pretty compressed and close to the frame topside. But maybe you didn't have the shock in there. The finished product does look nice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts