Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes,

Just torquing up my rear axle nut and according to 650 CC&D's Yamaha maintenance diagram it says to torque it at 67 ft/lbs. I have mine set and yes it is a ft/lbs torque wrench and it keeps tightening till the final drive is flush with the hub (Which I know isn't correct).

Just to be clear, I've torqued the 4 final drive mounting bolts to 51 ft/lbs prior to me doing the axle bolt.

Any suggestions/comments would be helpful as I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Also, the washers are on the axle bolt on either side of the outside of the frame, and the shim is in between the frame and the brake drum cover.

Thanks dudes.

Jon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the shaft into the cross joint fully, it seated properly with the rim. Cross tightened the final drive mounting studs. As I use the torque wrench to tighten the axle bolt at 51 ft/lbs, it doesn't even get close to feeling tight. I even dropped it down to 40 ft/lbs and it will still come closer than it was prior to coming off. I'm not sure the correct distance from the face of the final drive to the face of the hub. Maybe between 5-10mm?

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
the spacing all looks about right. check that all spacers are right, including the internal spacer in the final drive side.

spacing is generally 2-3mm between drive and hub, usually even less

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is that having the final drive and hub so close, the wheel doesn't spin as free as it did before I removed it. I will take apart and recheck tomorrow but I already did that 3 times haha, but something isn't right.

Everything is greased properly. There is only one spacer that goes against the brake drum cover and the right side of the frame. Nothing internal that would be part of the axle as in a spacer or washer. The splines from the final drive matched up to the ones on the hub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts