Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellas
i have a question. i am thinking about pulling my drive shaft andbgreasing the splines. soin as i recv a repair manual on the way. my question is this.
i went to oreillys and got some
master pro super lithium E P MOLY GREASE
can i use this on my splines? i read somewhere about moly paste. they said its the same thing? or equal to....but i dont know. if it is or not it doesnt tell how much moly is has in it. according to google it says 3% is that enough? or should i return it and find the moly paste?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,428 Posts
NO! The standard moly grease does not have enough moly in it. Several of use use this:

Reactions: vstarhillbilly

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks les. well when i got it i said it doesnt say how much moly it even has in it! so i wanted to check with the experts here :) thanks. will be putting this off til i get a can of this moly paste ...thanks👍

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there an alternative equal to this ? around here this is about 60$ for 8oz. what they sold me was that extreme pressure grease with moly...but it only has 3%.so will be takin this back. .....is m77 an equal? someone else told me marine grease was equal. but to me grease
is grease ....i need the moly.paste if i can find it reasonable priced somewhere.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
538 Posts
Honda M77 assembly paste

Reactions: vstarhillbilly

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,428 Posts
While your assessment might have some merit to correct grease to use, I would use caution. Over the years there have been multiple folks with failed rear drive units due to lack of proper lubrication. It's like many folks swear that synthetic oil us better than dino oil. Is there a 100% correct answer, depends on your research. I use a high moly lube, it's a one and done for me. Why chance a drive unit failure over a few dollars? The question you might have needed to ask the tech, if it was your bike what would you use? That answer is often different from what you might think. Good luck and keep us informed at your next tire change if the gears still have a nice film of grease on them or is it thrown off.

Reactions: Bobber650

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
to be honest. when i removed my drive shaft the one end looked new. no grease what so ever. splines inside the boot had very little if any. thats why i dont trust ppl work on my bike. i do it all myself. ... that yamaha tech told me he uses race bearing grease or whatever he has on hand.. an if he has no race bearing grease he uses regular grease in the shop . an he said no moly grease or any other kind will last 100,000 miles. .
of course if it was meant to last 100 000 miles youd never have to grease them bc the one time grease job at yamaha when they built the bike would take care of that idea. but at any rate it has plenty on it now...so i doubt it comes off. it cant go anywhere. the male slides into the female. it cant get slung off it has no where to sling it. but anyway i am glad i checked it ...i just had a feeling the guy who changed my tires last time. probably didnt grease it. afterall. i had taken it to a harely shop and they changed my tires. i drove 2000 miles an then found out theyd put front tire on backwards. arrow pointing towards the motor. we turned it back around. but they gave me a new tire an we put it on. so wont be goin back there anymore..but i didnt think theyd lube the splines just out of courtesy. so i am glad i checked i greased them with what i had on hand for now. but im gonna order a set of back brake shoes and some loctite 8012 or somethin with 60% moly in it an when i put them shoes on on i will regrease the splines again just to be safe. yep 45.00 is alot easier to come up with then 500. for a final drive........my splines looked new. no wear no chips nothin. so was glad to see that.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Did you take the nose on the differential off and grease the connector for the driveshaft to the differential?

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
yes...... i greased every place that came apart and had splines ..an i put grease back inside the female parts too. removed rubber coupling cleaned that off removed the female part there. wiped it off an put new lube back inside ... an on other side of hub theres a wheel like bearing i greased that too. an up where drive shaft goes in. i put grease up in the female part of u joint . when i got done. i was satisifed.. but still when i do brakes on back i am gonna clean everything off an replace with loctite 8012... hafta get me a motorcycle jack also bc i had to borrow one. i was kinda hesitant about taking it all apart .... but. i do about everything without the manual. ..i .have one ordered an spose to be here this week tho but i didnt wanna wait..... but after looking at the diagram yall gave me here. it was rather easy ... hardest part about the whole job...? well i had to remove my backrest to remove my saddlebags so i could see what i was doin an have room....went to take my tire off an that axle bolt wouldnt clear top muffler soo had to take that off too. to get axle bolt out. then i loosened the fender so i could hold that up. while pulling the tire out and putting it back on.. that was the hardest part tryin to hold fender up with my right thigh while reaching on each side to lift the tire an slide it in place :) you realky need about 3 armsbto do this lol but it was fun... but im gonna re do them when i get my locktite8012. when i put my shoes on the back 👍 just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,328 Posts
There are tons of information about this on the web, and just like with tires or engine oils or whatever, many have very strong opinions. Over at one of the Honda Deauville forums, some had discovered in their manual that you should use Moly paste, not lube or grease. Anything else would see your splines evaporate almost before your eyes.

Personally, I have used moly grease with an undisclosed amount of moly for decades, on a number of shaft driven bikes, and never had any issues. Does that mean "my" grease is universally good enough? No. It just means that it is good enough for my needs. YMMV.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
361 Posts
Personally, I have used moly grease with an undisclosed amount of moly for decades, on a number of shaft driven bikes, and never had any issues. Does that mean "my" grease is universally good enough? No. It just means that it is good enough for my needs. YMMV
I have had the same experience. Having any moly grease on the splines is far better than running them dry.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i used some stuff from.orileys called E P moly grease.....looked on web after i got home an it only. had 3%..i went ahead an used it. til i can get soemthin better.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts