Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
What are you guys paying for that Loctite 8012? Amazon wants $45 for 8oz of the stuff. SHEET!!!
Loctite 234227 LOC51048 Moly Paste Anti-Seize Compound: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Why not buy the actual Yamalube product? I got this for $13. Only 4.5oz, but you don't need much.
Amazon.com: Yamaha Marine New OEM Molybdenum Disulfide Grease 4, ACC-MOLDM-GS-05: Automotive

The product listing photo sucks, and doesn't show what you actually get. But it is the correct product. Pics below. Notice in the last photo it even has the icon with a grease gun with an "M" on it, which comes right out of the owners manual.

Reactions: vstarhillbilly

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
You would have to look up the MSDS for it. But it is the Yamaha endorsed product.

I'm not sure where the 60% value came from. It is not quantified in my manual.

Reactions: faffi

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
now this is funny and strange ..
i just received my vstar 650 repair manual today. i have been sitting here for a couple hrs just reading stuff and just looking thru it.... all this talk about molylube moly paste moly 60 i will post a picture of what it says about greasing splines talkin bout the drive shaft .it says installation : lubricate the splines of the drive shaft and U joint with lithium grease. To prevent axle seizure coat the axle with anti seize compound
no mention of moly there
everyones going on about what moly to use an this n that i have not found yet anywhere in this clymers yamaha vstar repair manual from front to back and in between. where it makes any mention of moly anything.! i think i read somewhere on this site starbikeforum where someone said the manual even shows a picture of what yamaha lube to use? well id just like for someone to SHOW me. where it says in the manual moly is a must? ACTUALLY the ONLY mention it even makes of lubing splines. is when you go to re insert the shaft into the Ujoint it just says use lithium grease...on that.end doesnt even make mention about tearing down the shaft and re lubing everything else. i wonder why. they wouldnt put that in this manual under general maintenace? now i did see about the hypoid oil for the final drive
sae 20w40 for regular engine oil
sae 80 wt hypoid gear oil. GL4 or Gl5 or Gl6 can be used
but no mention anywhere. anything about moly paste lube grease or m77 so id like for someone to explain to me why that wouldnt be in the Clymers Manual??

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
The recommendations posted here are from personal experience. There was an issue with splines stripping on final drive units, if you want, google it. Here's a one that come up quickly:

And another one:

After lots of folks having this issue it was found that using recommended spline maintenance that Honda and Triumph used stopped the spline wear, they use high moly lube. This is one reason why forums are so great, we share personal knowledge about things. Now is everything posted in forums 100% correct, no. But from my experience, if multiple people recommend the same, it's normally good. So please do what you feel is correct, follow a repair manual that was probably written right after the bike had been released, or follow recommendations of those who have owned these bikes for decades and have learned a few maintenance enhancements. I understand the expense of certain maintenance items, I'm a working guy with limit funds and at times really hate spending the money. But making sure my bike is well taken care of softens the financial burden.

Reactions: SkinnyFats13

·
Registered
2008 YAMAHA XVS650 V-STAR 650
46 Posts
What are you guys paying for that Loctite 8012? Amazon wants $45 for 8oz of the stuff. SHEET!!!
Loctite 234227 LOC51048 Moly Paste Anti-Seize Compound: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Why not buy the actual Yamalube product? I got this for $13. Only 4.5oz, but you don't need much.
Amazon.com: Yamaha Marine New OEM Molybdenum Disulfide Grease 4, ACC-MOLDM-GS-05: Automotive

The product listing photo sucks, and doesn't show what you actually get. But it is the correct product. Pics below. Notice in the last photo it even has the icon with a grease gun with an "M" on it, which comes right out of the owners manual.

Buying this Yamalube now unless someone determines it won’t work.

Tires aren’t here yet so I don’t need it today (FedEx lost the first set) so J&P are sending replacements.

-Eric

Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Dude, on here you will get a lot of advice, some from the books , some from experience. I might recommend things that are not in the book or are against what the book says, but I have also been working on Yamahas for 51 years. You can take my advice or not. I am not riding your bike , you are and you have to decide what you want to do on your bike.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
(FedEx lost the first set) so J&P are sending replacements.
The computer said FedEx had mine out for delivery on Saturday, it didn't show up. I called my grandson ( he works for FedEx) he found out is what out for delivery in Georgia, I live in Pensacola Florida, if finally made it Monday evening.

Reactions: Llebcire

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
There are very few, if any, manuals that cover everything. Especially if it's not a known issue of concern. The failures didn't start till owners had change a set or two of tires and the exsisting grease had been wiped off or had degraded. Manuals are written while the bike is being designed and published as the bike is being released.

Reactions: vstarhillbilly

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
i wondered why yamaha did not include. tearing down the shaft to lube the splines
This is why I said experience,
A little story on just that. My first experience with a shaft drive was the 650 Classic. As you say no where does it mention greasing the shaft at the coupling to the differential. My bike had 74 k miles on it ( never serviced) and that coupling stripped, at a stoplight . That was when I found that coupling and learned how to set it up and grease it. it failed again 15k miles later, this time it was the splines going to the differential. Probably still damage from the first failure, so I replace the driveshaft and the coupler ( new) and a used differential from ebay, now it has 165k miles on it and the driveshaft and coupler look brand new ( just greasy) . I too wish they had put it in the book , it would have save me 2 failures and a bunch of money.
You can buy an OEM driveshaft and coupler from Partzilla, ebay is your friend when it comes to the differential ( they are real expensive)
As for me I prefer belt drive or chain drive, some love the shaft drive, I am not real crazy about it.

·
Registered
2008 YAMAHA XVS650 V-STAR 650
46 Posts
The computer said FedEx had mine out for delivery on Saturday, it didn't show up. I called my grandson ( he works for FedEx) he found out is what out for delivery in Georgia, I live in Pensacola Florida, if finally made it Monday evening.
Mine moved from Friday the 28th until Wednesday June 3rd where it’s been stopped ever since. I received 5 shipments from FedEx over the last year - and they lost 2 of them.
-Eric

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
I don't know why you would not use the molybdenum disulfide grease. My OEM repair manual clearly says to use it. And I don't think it is a coincidence that the grease gun icon in the manual has a big "M" on it, and the correct grease has the same icon. I might quibble over the 60% minimum, I kind of think someone just made up a number, but the designers determined that a grease bearing MO was necessary. (MO is the chemistry symbol for the element of Molybdenum) The OEM manual does not tell us what percentage of MO is required as a minimum, but instead, better than that, they sell the exact grease for the application.

MO is considered necessary for components which slide under load. And your spline shaft slides laterally a tiny bit with each articulation of the swing-arm, and for that matter, with each rotation of the U-joint.

You could have already spent very few bucks and had a tube of it in hand in the time you've spent trying to convince yourself that it isn't necessary.

But, WTF, it's your bike.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This is why I said experience,
A little story on just that. My first experience with a shaft drive was the 650 Classic. As you say no where does it mention greasing the shaft at the coupling to the differential. My bike had 74 k miles on it ( never serviced) and that coupling stripped, at a stoplight . That was when I found that coupling and learned how to set it up and grease it. it failed again 15k miles later, this time it was the splines going to the differential. Probably still damage from the first failure, so I replace the driveshaft and the coupler ( new) and a used differential from ebay, now it has 165k miles on it and the driveshaft and coupler look brand new ( just greasy) . I too wish they had put it in the book , it would have save me 2 failures and a bunch of money.
You can buy an OEM driveshaft and coupler from Partzilla, ebay is your friend when it comes to the differential ( they are real expensive)
As for me I prefer belt drive or chain drive, some love the shaft drive, I am not real crazy about it.

i agree with you jspree....

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I don't know why you would not use the molybdenum disulfide grease. My OEM repair manual clearly says to use it. And I don't think it is a coincidence that the grease gun icon in the manual has a big "M" on it, and the correct grease has the same icon. I might quibble over the 60% minimum, I kind of think someone just made up a number, but the designers determined that a grease bearing MO was necessary. (MO is the chemistry symbol for the element of Molybdenum) The OEM manual does not tell us what percentage of MO is required as a minimum, but instead, better than that, they sell the exact grease for the application.

MO is considered necessary for components which slide under load. And your spline shaft slides laterally a tiny bit with each articulation of the swing-arm, and for that matter, with each rotation of the U-joint.

You could have already spent very few bucks and had a tube of it in hand in the time you've spent trying to convince yourself that it isn't necessary.

But, WTF, it's your bike.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts