Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I took the MSF class ~6 weeks ago and purchased my first bike ~4 weeks ago. I am 5'4 160 pounds and purchased a 2007 virago 250 as I was told it was a great beginners bike. Well it is a good bike to start but I think I am ready for something bigger already. I have looked at several bikes and like the looks of the bigger vstars. The 1100 is too wide for me to touch the ground comfortable and the 900 I can touch but doesnt feel real comfortable. The 650 feels excellent to me though. So first off what are your thoughts on a 2007 v-star 650 silverado? The one I am looking at has 8000 miles. Are there any problems I should look for? Is this bike going to be big enough to carry myself and a passenger (probably no one bigger then 150). I will be doing mostly short trips of 30 miles or less with a mix of country roads and 2 lane highways (55 mph speedlimits) I may occassionaly do short trips on the interstate but it will be minimal. I also do a fair amount of riding in town and on country roads.

The second part of the question is what price should I be looking at with trade in. My bike is a 07 virago 250 with 1400 miles on it. I have added a windshield and saddlebags. The bike I am falling in love with is a 07 v-star 650 silverado with ~8000 miles. I am in indiana and the dealer offered me the deal of 3500 out the door difference when trading mine in on the vstar. Is this a fair deal? If not what should I shoot for. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
go to www.kbb.com/motorcycles, you can get a general guide line there. and then if the results are similar to what the dealership is offering you maybe it will make you a little more comfortable with the "upgrade" i have a 99 650 classic and i love it, however when i have the money i will be "upgrading" to a bigger bike. However, not because the 650 is not a good bike, but because it is fairly small for myself at 5'10. and yes the bike will have plenty of power for you and your passenger. I took my dad for about a 30 mile trip and had no problems what so ever and he is 6'2 225 lbs. granted it looked okward with how big he is but thats about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As someone who went from a 250 to an 1100, I would highly advise you to buy the largest bike you can afford. It's amazing how fast you'll adjust, and it will only be a matter of time until you, like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor, long for more power.

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
i think you should get what you like now, not what you may like in the future. so if your heart is set on the 650, which would be good for your size and the type of riding you've described, then go for it. but make sure you're getting enough trade-in value for your virago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think you should get what you like now, not what you may like in the future. so if your heart is set on the 650, which would be good for your size and the type of riding you've described, then go for it. but make sure you're getting enough trade-in value for your virago.
I'd agree with that, but saving money should be a factor. Starting off with a slightly bigger bike, say the 950, will give you enough power to keep you satisfied for a few years. In the long run, you won't have spent money on a 650 and then again, more money on a larger bike in a year or less. Just my thought though since that's what I did and boy am I glad that I did. I don't think a 650, which is what I was originally looking at, would have made me happier in the long run. If it's not the 950, then maybe the 1100 will suit you better. I dunno. Food for thought. ;) Ultimately, like bevo1981 said, it's your decision, so do as your heart tells you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts