Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Folks,

I did a quick search on the subject before posting but did not see anything that addressed this question. If I missed something I apologize.

We recently picked up a 01 650 Classic for the wife to learn on and I have a question regarding the rear shock.

On the ride home I noticed several things aside from it crying for a Carb rebuild. The forks and rear shock seem SUPER soft and appear to lack any damping at all.

I can correct the forks to a degree with a little thicker oil but since the back is Nitrogen charged, it is, what it is. In testing the bike before the ride home I gave it a shake
down on a side street to test the brakes etc and ended up with rear wheel hop when I got heavy on the rear brakes. Preload is set all the way up.

Is this the nature of the beast or is the shock blown??? I was shocked to see they are available from Yamaha and fairly reasonable at about $240.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have read on here there is another shock that can be used on the rear of the 650, I am sure Les knows where it is. On the front of mine I made a preload, it is made using hard copper pipe, you make it 1 1/2 inches longer the the pipe inside the fork that pushes against the washer on top of the spring. Then I mix equals parts of 20 weight and 10 weight fork oil and use that to replace the 10 weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read on here there is another shock that can be used on the rear of the 650, I am sure Les knows where it is. On the front of mine I made a preload, it is made using hard copper pipe, you make it 1 1/2 inches longer the the pipe inside the fork that pushes against the washer on top of the spring. Then I mix equals parts of 20 weight and 10 weight fork oil and use that to replace the 10 weight.
Thanks,
I am going to start on the front by changing the oil and going up a weight. The front is not nearly as bad as the rear and I am hoping that will solve that end.

The back is whole other animal and I can bounce the rear with one finger pressing down on the tail light housing.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts
Any shock over a few years old don't preform very well, they are just shot. If the rear shock is not leaking then a new spring will bring the rear suspension back to life. The Progressive spring is one that most use with excellent results.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I am wanting to think it was the shock from an F 6 that was compatible , but I will have to see if I can the article, so don't quote me yet on that.

Les do you remember the thread on that shock change?

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
386 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I found the article I was looking for , it was on the old Delphi 650 forum ( it is dead, very little activity):

A shock from an FZ6R (XJ6 in some markets) is a direct bolt-on for a V-Star 650.

V-Star 650 Classic and FZ6R (2009-on) shocks compared:

Ohlins publishes shock lengths for various modern motorcycles. From that list, I've determined that:
The VStar 650 Classic shock has a length of 278.5 mm and a shock stroke length of 32.5mm, giving 84 mm of wheel travel.

The FZ6R shock has a length of 281, raising the rear of a Classic by about 5 mm and a Custom by about 15 mm, all things else being equal, and a shock stroke length of 51.5 mm, giving 133 mm of wheel travel. There may or may not be enough clearance between the wheel and fender to prevent rubbing at full compression.

The FZ6R shock has better damping qualities than the V-Star shock, and especially that of the XJ600 shock.

According to quotes from owners having used all 3 shocks on their XJs, the XJ has the softest spring and least damping followed by the V-Star, with the FZ6R being firmer with better damping control. Most seem to agree that the FZ6R shock offer the best comfort as well as the best control.

The V-Star Custom appears to have a shock that is 273 mm long and with a little stiffer spring than that of the Classic.

Strangely enough, RaceTech list the spring rate of the FZ6R shock at 9.4 kg/mm. From what I can gather, the Classic shock spring rate is 13 kg/mm, which is a lot stiffer than what RaceTech lists for the FZ6R. RaceTech has gotten their numbers wrong at times, though. One rider who tried all 3 shocks on his XJ600 had the stock shock set to the 7th and firmest setting, the Classic shock to the 3rd notch from full soft, and the FZ6R to the 2nd notch from full soft.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
386 Posts
You are correct, the 465 is one great shock. Unfortunately the 465 is not made for the 650.
Oops - it's for the 1100... Right?!?!?

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
386 Posts
I found the article I was looking for , it was on the old Delphi 650 forum ( it is dead, very little activity):

A shock from an FZ6R (XJ6 in some markets) is a direct bolt-on for a V-Star 650.

V-Star 650 Classic and FZ6R (2009-on) shocks compared:

Ohlins publishes shock lengths for various modern motorcycles. From that list, I've determined that:
The VStar 650 Classic shock has a length of 278.5 mm and a shock stroke length of 32.5mm, giving 84 mm of wheel travel.

The FZ6R shock has a length of 281, raising the rear of a Classic by about 5 mm and a Custom by about 15 mm, all things else being equal, and a shock stroke length of 51.5 mm, giving 133 mm of wheel travel. There may or may not be enough clearance between the wheel and fender to prevent rubbing at full compression.

The FZ6R shock has better damping qualities than the V-Star shock, and especially that of the XJ600 shock.

According to quotes from owners having used all 3 shocks on their XJs, the XJ has the softest spring and least damping followed by the V-Star, with the FZ6R being firmer with better damping control. Most seem to agree that the FZ6R shock offer the best comfort as well as the best control.

The V-Star Custom appears to have a shock that is 273 mm long and with a little stiffer spring than that of the Classic.

Strangely enough, RaceTech list the spring rate of the FZ6R shock at 9.4 kg/mm. From what I can gather, the Classic shock spring rate is 13 kg/mm, which is a lot stiffer than what RaceTech lists for the FZ6R. RaceTech has gotten their numbers wrong at times, though. One rider who tried all 3 shocks on his XJ600 had the stock shock set to the 7th and firmest setting, the Classic shock to the 3rd notch from full soft, and the FZ6R to the 2nd notch from full soft.
I think the FZ6R shock might be the one that @faffi upgraded to on his 650 Classic...

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
590 Posts
Yes, I did. And the Classic shock actually has a stroke of 98 mm for the wheel, 84 mm is for the Custom, which sits lower. The stock shock and forks had no damping on my 650 Classic, despite only 13k miles on the clock. I could actually stand beside the bike and bounce the bike hard enough for the wheels to leave the ground! The FZ6R shock has a much stiffer spring and a lot more damping. The fork also has ultra-soft springs and next to no damping. I fitted Marzocchi fork springs made for the Sacks 805 and 15W fork oil, but even with the thicker oil there is still too little damping, but the springs are correct for me (200 lb net).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I did. And the Classic shock actually has a stroke of 98 mm for the wheel, 84 mm is for the Custom, which sits lower. The stock shock and forks had no damping on my 650 Classic, despite only 13k miles on the clock. I could actually stand beside the bike and bounce the bike hard enough for the wheels to leave the ground! The FZ6R shock has a much stiffer spring and a lot more damping. The fork also has ultra-soft springs and next to no damping. I fitted Marzocchi fork springs made for the Sacks 805 and 15W fork oil, but even with the thicker oil there is still too little damping, but the springs are correct for me (200 lb net).

Thanks everyone this has been very helpful.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Best looking shock on ebay, some cheaper but this looks the best

1 - 13 of 13 Posts