Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Single Carb or Dual Carb

• Single

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dual

Votes: 5 100.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2002 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Been riding my Vstar for some time now and I've been modifying and bobber converting it!
Recently been wanting to do the single carb conversion kit that KJS offers. It's almost a complete kit. I honestly don't really mind the performance increase it claims, I'm just trying to clean up the whole air filter box and all that from under the tank to eventually change up the tank to a sporty or taller tank.

If anyone has done this before let me know! I don't mind working on it myself, I'd just want some instructions to getting it setup correctly LOL. (y)(y)

Registered
You would be better off using pods, from everything I have read over the years the single is never right. You either have no low end and a lot of top end or lose top end and it struggles on low end.
Using pods will clean up your airbox problem and you can maintain performance through the entire powerband.

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Strongly suggest to stay away from a single carb setup. If doing a show bike, go for it, if you plan on riding, well let's say it's extremely challenging. Pods will clean the look and they work well. Here's a thread on a single carb conversion and the issues.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would be better off using pods, from everything I have read over the years the single is never right. You either have no low end and a lot of top end or lose top end and it struggles on low end.
Using pods will clean up your airbox problem and you can maintain performance through the entire powerband.
Hey lesblank,

Ended up ordering the pod fitlers and jet kit.
Going to follow the GAK method and get those on.
First, I'm going to make sure I rejet and also ordered the 6sigma jet kit stage 2 then also balance both carbs out.

I'm hoping I can have enough clearance under there to fit a nice sporty/frisco tank.

I really like this setup, so I am going to attempt and replicate it.

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Hey lesblank,

Ended up ordering the pod fitlers and jet kit.
Going to follow the GAK method and get those on.
First, I'm going to make sure I rejet and also ordered the 6sigma jet kit stage 2 then also balance both carbs out.

I'm hoping I can have enough clearance under there to fit a nice sporty/frisco tank.

I really like this setup, so I am going to attempt and replicate it.

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure it will work out for you.

Registered
The Pods stay below the frame on top, I have the pods on my 650. I wanted to get rid of the dog bowl air cleaner.
This is a picture of my 650 before the change out of the fenders, tank and seat, but you can see how it cleans up between the cylinders.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Pods stay below the frame on top, I have the pods on my 650. I wanted to get rid of the dog bowl air cleaner.
This is a picture of my 650 before the change out of the fenders, tank and seat, but you can see how it cleans up between the cylinders.

View attachment 101290
Hey Jspree,

IMO it looks a lot nicer without the dog bowl!

I just want to make sure once I get the new tank - I have enough clearance under the tank for the pod filters. The EMGO filtersI got look a little tall, still waiting on the jet kit to arrive so I鈥檒l probably have to wait and get them on this weekend.

馃憤馃徏

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.