Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a v-star 650, 1999 with only 4,000 miles. The previous owner didn't use it much.

When I take it out for the first time in a day it wants to stall out when I first take off. I'll let it warm up for a minute or so with the choke out, but when I first go to rev the engine it will stumble and die as soon as the clutch engages. After doing this a few times, I'll get it going and then it accelerates erratically for about a mile. After that mile of warm up it runs perfectly fine.

The mechanics said he wants to tear out the carbs and clean the jets. I have 92 octane fuel and some seafoam in there now. Is there anything else I should try before bringing it in to him?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Stop running 92 octane gas. Your bike doesn't have high enough compression to require it. So you're just wasting your money. Stay with a "Top-Tier" gas marketer. Search Top-Tier for a list. Sea-Foam works wonders. I'd run two tanks before I'd let someone tear into it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ya might wanna leave that choke on for a bit longer too,
till it's good and warmed up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had a Suzuki LS 650 like that once.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had this exact same problem earlier in the year. I found it was the old tank of gas. I ran her until it was close to empty - put in a fresh tank and it's been golden ever since.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get it to a good Yamaha dealer mechanic and have them completely rebuild the carbs. Keep in mind, with only 4000 miles since 1999 that machine has done a lot of sitting time which simply means those carbs are not clean at all. Riding it and stumbling around for the next several hundred miles is not going to magically clear up what's wrong in its entirety. Especially over the past few years the newer fuel formulas are dryer than ever and after the machine sits for only a matter of months will dry up in the float bowls and fuel/air circuits. The only way to correct this is to disassemble and clean accordingly. Additionally, once they are clean and the bike runs well, make it a point to ride it or run the engine for a few minutes MONTHLY. This simple point will prevent this from happening again. I hope this advice steers you well. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Carb cleaner

In all probability Cheese and crackers is right. But, I would still try the Sea Foam for a tank or two before I spend the money.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I used seafoam and it seems to have improved my warm up performance, but only by a little. the first cold start of the day is always just a practice in patience for me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Carb issues are a royal pain. I am still in the guessing stages with my carbs. I ran sea foam through mine but have still been having issues from time to time. I would still follow the advise given by the majority, start with the SeaFoam because if it does fix the issue you'll have saved yourself a pretty penny.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I thought I'd add that you might want to search through the forum for SeaFoam. There have been a lot of folks on the site who've have very similar issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stop running 92 octane gas. Your bike doesn't have high enough compression to require it. So you're just wasting your money. Stay with a "Top-Tier" gas marketer. Search Top-Tier for a list. Sea-Foam works wonders. I'd run two tanks before I'd let someone tear into it.

A+ to Fulltilt1 answer I had similar problem with my 1100...Seafoam cured it...spend some money on chrome instead of hi octane, your bike does not need it:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts