Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just nabbed a Vstar 950 - touring. It currently has the vstar oem backrest. When myself and my wife go out for a run this summer, I'm thinking it would be nice to have an option to put the helmets in a bag / trunk or some option at the rear of the bike so we can go in for coffee / bite to eat or even if we want to just go pop in somewhere for a bit. I can put on a rack or a sissy bar to accomodate...

Like to know what others have done rather than just taking the helmets with you, which is not what I want to do.

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On my 650, I added the OEM rack, then got the Givi V56NA Top Case. Since I had to remove the sissy bar, I added the backrest pad. It claims to hold 2 Full Face helmets - I've never tested that but, it sure looks like it would. It mounts via a plate you attache to the rack so, it's pretty easy to take off/put on. Since getting it, I can do my grocery shopping on the bike now. I can get 3 x 12 packs of Diet Coke and 1 or 2 small bags of groceries in there. I've thought about replacing the reflectors with the Brake Light Kit, but, I can't find whether its wired with a 'hard' connector on pigtails or if there is some connector that automatically engages in the plate. Someday I may call or email them and ask.
Givi V56NA Top Case - giviusa.com

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts
Several options out there. Several members here use a trunk similar to :

Getting two full face helmets into the trunk might be questionable depending on helmets. I have a full size tour pack that will fit two full helmets very good unless wife has wanted to bring the kitchen sink (her stuff) along with us. Before the tour pack and even now at times I use a locking cable like the one below. The cable is actually handy as you can run through sleeve of jacket and secure to bike also. Make sure if you go the cable way get one that has small enough cable to fit thru D ring on helmet if your helmet is not full or modular with eye opening to cable thru.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
when Im riding not far from home I hang my helmet on the right throttle grip

if someone takes it (not very likely where I live) I can call my son at home and have him bring me my old helmet

when Im away from home where rescue would be an issue, I bring my helmet with me when Im not on the bike

this is a logical delemmia - if you think someone will steal your helmet there is nothing stopping them from smashing your trunk open and taking it anyway

there are people who will smash the window on your car to steal 50¢ in change they can see in your car in the cup holder,
or the GPS you bought at the Goodwill store for $5

thieves do not care if they do $500 in damage to your vehicle to steal a dollar

if you think about this too long blood will start gushing out of your nose - there is no simple answer

I put a trunk on my VS650 that I got from Amazon for $50 - it looks like its designed for a scooter

I fabricated my own pseudo rack that attaches to the fender rail bolts to match the bottom of the trunk

its perfect for carrying my lunch to work and will hold quite a bit of groceries on the way home (enough for dinner + a gallon of milk)

and it makes a perfect drivers backrest

but its slightly too small for my 2X helmet

and BTW, I never lock it - most likely someone will break it open just to find out its empty

·
5,458 Posts
A not too funny story. I had my helmet hanging from handlebar once. It was a full face and it hung kinda upside down. Hung helmet, went into store, came out to find a bird sitting there and took a crap in my helmet. Damn crow.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
^ I hang my full face helmet by the chin guard, shield closed

for that reason

·
5,458 Posts
^ I hang my full face helmet by the chin guard, shield closed

for that reason
Never said I was the smartest, but did learn a lesson that day. 🙃

·
Registered
13 Posts
I either hang my helmet on the handle bar or even set it on the ground, not a fancy helmet. After this many years they still don't know that most bikes need two helmet hooks, other wise only sell single seaters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is what I have on my 950t. Got it from EBay for $65, shark brand, and it’ll hold two full have helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith
This is what I have on my 950t. Got it from EBay for $65, shark brand, and it’ll hold two full have helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith, that's a fine looking setup you have. Did the trunk come with the rack it's mounted on, or did you have to get a separate rack? My current rack is part of the quick release sissy bar, which I don't think will work due to how it attaches. A bit of waterproof storage would be nice to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts