Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

VStar 950 - Even the bike mechanics are stumped...

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Steve Herrick 
#1 ·
So, I've found that at speed (maybe after 40+mph), if I take my hands off of the handlebars for more than a second, a shimmy begins in the front tire. If I don't re-grip the bars, it only gets worse. Likely into a total death wobble.

I've had several folks go over it, mechanics re-balanced the tire, tightened up the forks and triple tree just to be certain. Checked the bearings. All good.

Any ideas? Anyone else ever encountered this with a 950? Mine is a 2014 and it barely has 5k miles on it. Practically brand new!

Any feedback would be appreciated! TIA!

~CL

#2 ·
i have very little experience in this however I have had the same issue and went thru the same on my new at the time 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager. I had the hop at about 42 and then again about 80 and the hop at 80 was the worst.
My last resort was balance beads that helped greatly.
Many folks on this forum have used others types counter act for one.
One suggestion I had one good results buying premium tires and getting them balanced and mounted at a good shop that had a really good tire machine. Only had that bike for a year and a half when I got my current ride.

#3 ·
Check your wheel alignment. If the rear is not tracking true in relation to the front you will get harmonies in the frame that will cause the wobble. The below is an old video but I really like to share it when this topic comes up.

#14 ·
I had this same problem only it was on a goldwing trike, new tire as well Dunlop said it was bad compound in the tire when it was being changed it would pop back on the bead when off the rim my buddy 340lbs sat on it it had no give you could bounce it like a basket ball off the ground remember off the rim Dunlop sells mass amounts of the tires then they are stored and dry up. They no longer use that compound,,unfortunately I no longer use Dunlop for my front tire my 2014 stratoliner deluxe started to do the same thing. Tire was cupping do too safety reasons I changed the tire all though other brand does not last as long my big buddy uses the Dunlop on his Harley-Davidson ultra Glide classic with no problems the high speed wobble scared me I've been riding 50 years and raced professional dirt and road racing..changing brands was my choice I am 200lbs.

#5 ·
I would check front tire and wheel. I would mount it on a truing stand. Mount a flat bar in front of it ( small vise or something they have) mark center of tire and each side on the bar. Then spin the wheel , look for deveation on the marks , plus look roundness, looking at the gap between the bar and the tire.
This would be my starting point.

Reactions: clstegall
#7 ·
Had 3 sets on my 2015 950. All with Ride-on. Never a tire issue. Except the time I got home with a screw in the rear tire. But it still had the correct amount of air pressure in it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.