Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
We went from a H900 10 to my 1300T and have only made one mod to the gas tank. I would like to read the article on pulley change though. I have tried a bigger tire and have had some great gas mileage with that change.
What did you size up to?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Both are great bikes, but I love my 950T. When I bought it 5 years ago I looked at both the 950 and 1300. decided on the 950 over the 1300 mainly because I prefer air cooled over water cooled. I've made a lot of 500 miles round trip rides in a day with no issues. Can't really go wrong with either bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
decided on the 950 over the 1300 mainly because I prefer air cooled over water cooled.
I was under the impression water cooled engines do not get as hot when you’re moving.

if you don’t mind me asking, I am trying to understand the preference of air cooled over water cooled engines. What’s the logic behind it?

I was under the impression water cooled engines do not get as hot when you’re moving.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

if you don’t mind me asking, I am trying to understand the preference of air cooled over water cooled engines. What’s the logic behind it?

A water cooled engine temp stays the same. The only benefit to an air cooled engine that i can figure is less to go wrong with it. I will admit when it is 90* stuck in city traffic i can tell the way a water cooled engine looses power. I am sure an air cooled engine is worse.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What I do is move to the right side of the lane in slow traffic to get clear air & I let the cars in front of me roll a little forward so I can sprint up and get clean air over the fins...

The reason I prefer air cooled is I maintain my bike, so if I can eliminate a radiator, fan , thermostat, coolant , a pump and hoses. Now I have less to worry about breaking..

·
2,503 Posts
Myth busted. I got stuck in traffic last summer on my liquid cooled Nomad and the heat coming off the engine was as bad or worse than my 1100. I ended up getting off a couple of times (which I hate doing in stopped traffic) just to cool off a bit. I'm sure a lot of it was coming off the pipes, which isn't going to change with either cooling type.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Primarily what Jspree said. Less to go wrong or maintain. I don't have to worry with the cooling system. Yes is can get hot is slow traffic, but fortunately I live in a fairly small town and don't have to worry about traffic. Plus a cleaner look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents,
I have been considering a second VStar with more juice for longer rides. I am totally pleased with my 650 for around town, back roads cruising, and commuting to work one day at week and intend to keep it for a while.

There is a 2012 VStar 950 in my local listing w 7,314 miles in the odometer. There is also a 2009 VStar 1300 w 17,500 in the odometer. The price difference of the bikes is within my budget.
My gut feel tells me to go for the VStar 1300 since I am very close to the 950 in terms of engine power.
What are the known issues of the 2009 VStar 1300? Anything in particular to watch out for? or Should I save a bit more money for a newer VStar 1300, maybe a 2011 or newer?.
I have a 2013 VStar950T that I use as my all around town bike. Air cooled, gets roughly 45 - 50 mpg, and is very dependable transportation. My only complaint was at freeway speeds above 75, I really wanted a sixth gear. Don't get me wrong it will do 85 - 90 all day long on the freeway but just sounds like it needs to shift. I can get close to 200 miles on a tank of fuel. So I bought a Road Star Warrior 1700PC for my longer range bike and freeway bike. Much faster, gobs of power, still air cooled and still only a 5 speed, but the huge amount of power eliminates the need for a sixth gear. I have made 5 - 6 hours rides on it with now problem. Only complaint you have to stop every 120 miles for fuel. It burns more than the smaller 950 and has about the same size tank. I like air cooled engines because less maintenance. Air cooled engines have been around forever, and even Yamaha's flagship touring bike The Transcontinental Venture 1900cc is air cooled. We also have several Harleys in our family that are all air cooled. No problems with any of them. I have to say the Yamaha's are very dependable transportation. When the Harley wont start, the Yamahas always will. I have a friend that has the 1300. Same thing, super dependable. You cant go wrong either way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't speak for the 1300, as I've never ridden one. About 12 years ago I had a 650, and like you, was very happy with how it rode around town. It seemed to struggle on the highway, especially in more hilly areas. I now have a 950 that, while I know is technically very similar, it feels like a lot more bike. I still wish for a 6th gear at about 75 MPH, but I never lack power like I felt I did on the 650. I do like that I don't have to worry about maintaining a coolant system, even though I know water-cooled is superior in a lot of ways for performance. If it were me, I'd try to ride them both and see which one fits better. I think you'll be happy either way.

·
2,503 Posts
I had an 1100 and never had an issue with it overheating. And yes, we do get up around 100F here in the summer. My current bike is liquid cooled and it’s never overheated either. I would prefer air cooled for simplicity but so far no issues other than I find it hotter when sitting in traffic than the 1100 was. But it has a full V&H exhaust where the 1100 was stock so that might make a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Air cooled? Water cooled? Preference for me comes from my long-ago youthful basic view and appreciation for motorcycles....simplicity. First bike was a new '74 Honda CB450. That was when a 750 was the biggest, baddest, rip-your-hair-right-out-by-the-roots bike. I never saw the need for, nor did I want more than 2 cylinders. Now, of course, bikes are much bigger and some are seemingly rip-your-hair-right-out-by-the-roots-even -if-you-wear-a-helmet fast. And that's fast, let me tell ya. But not for me. Since I like to do my own maintenance, and at nearly 73 years old don't need any more complications in my life, I still have a preference for simplicity. Still have my 1999 Moto Guzzi that I bought new in 2001. That bike is/was everything I looked for in a bike. Air cooled, twin cylinder, shaft drive. Simplicity itself in capital letters. But what do I ride most, you ask? A 2009 Vstar 1300 Tourer. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I have had the same amount of air cooled and liquid cooled. I haven't had any problems either way. Like everyone else i like the simplicity of air cooled. Only one my 1800 vtx i had to retighten clamps because i could smell the coolant in spring. I attribute that to temp change riding in the 30s with expanding and contracting. But when it was in the high 90s fan would come on at stop lights. I would not buy a bike based on cooling. I would not pass one up because of cooling either. In short they both are fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
  • I totally agree with don't settle. I was a little the other way bought an 1800 VTX because i couldn't find an 1100 classic. Had it for 10 years and really liked it but sold it and finally bought my 1100 classic and couldn't be happier.
Ì ve had a few bikes over the years . XL 600 to v -max I had a 1100 classic for couple of years it was a great bike.. my recent ride of a 03 vtx 1800 had to go to repair my truck. Up here in canada cc equals big $$$$ for insurance. So I find myself looking at a 13 950 T . A good size bike and the magic number it's under 1000 cc
Which saves a lot for insurance here.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
2,503 Posts
I was told under 750ccs for my insurance company or it would be a lot more expensive. My 1100 cost me $600/year for plpd, fire and theft - no collision. That would've doubled it. They listed my current ride (1600) as a touring bike and that kept it about the same as the 1100. But yeah, insurance is nuts in Canada.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts
Interesting read on insurance. US is third highest and Canada is 5th.

·
2,503 Posts
It varies by province. I know in Quebec insurance is cheap but you pay hundred of dollars to renew your tags. Here it's around a hundred for tags for cars (depending on GVW) and $40 for motorcycles. But insurance is high. It seems they get us one way or another.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ì ve had a few bikes over the years . XL 600 to v -max I had a 1100 classic for couple of years it was a great bike.. my recent ride of a 03 vtx 1800 had to go to repair my truck. Up here in canada cc equals big $$$$ for insurance. So I find myself looking at a 13 950 T . A good size bike and the magic number it's under 1000 cc
Which saves a lot for insurance here.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I also had an 03 1800 VTX. The insurance is the same as my 1100 Classic $75 a year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
WOWZA You guys are quoting that for a years ins. Those are monthly amounts in Ontario. Good for you !
What was the question? 1300 love love love it. 950 would be the same. Unless you think you'll get ccitis (medical name), either will make you happy .

21 - 40 of 48 Posts