Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just bought a new VStar 950 for my wife. She does not like using the heel shifter, but the toe portion of the shift lever is too far forward for her to reach. Any suggestions on aftermarket levers that bring the toe portion further back? Would also like the heel portion to be deleted, but can live with it if the toe were further back. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Not sure about the 950 but on the 1100s the heel toe and the toe only are interchangeable. Is there a version of the 950 comparable to the Custom in the 1100?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. Just bought a new VStar 950 for my wife. She does not like using the heel shifter, but the toe portion of the shift lever is too far forward for her to reach. Any suggestions on aftermarket levers that bring the toe portion further back? Would also like the heel portion to be deleted, but can live with it if the toe were further back. Thanks for the help.
I ended up having to move forward to reach the toe shifter - now my back doesn't reach the backrest. My arms are short (I am 5'2") so I had to add 3" risers to my 950 anyway -- I really think I needed 4" risers - but then I would have had to change out the cables.... my hubby said he might take off the shifter, cut the length down about an inch and re-weld it to it... he hasn't done it yet, but he'll get the guys where he works to do it... I am holding out for a modified heel/toe shifter (maybe chrome) from Kuryakan. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is a huge help for me, I am also 5'2"..What brand of risers did you use? I feel like I want to sit further back in the seat, but the reach is too far, so I end up sitting more to the front of the seat just to keep my arms and back in a good spot.. I dont mind using the heal shifter, and I can stretch to the toes shifter, my boots have a nice dent in the top from it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How do you use your toe/heel shifter? I've always shifted from the top of the shifter. To upshift Toe down for first then Heel down for 2-5. Toe down 5-1 to downshift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1999 and would love to replace my toe only for a toe/heal. Any info on where I can get one, and if any modification is needed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wasn't accustomed to the toe-heel shifter when I bought my 950T and when I first drove it off the lot, I found it hard to reach my toe under the shifter for upshifting so I immediately gave the upshift heel shifter a try and now I'm hooked ... I don't know if I could ever give it up. It might just take a little getting used to but once you grow accustomed to changing your riding habits, you might love it, like I did!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts