Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my air kit from Thunder Mfg. Ordered the 20405B adaptor plate (in black) and the ball milled round air kit.

Installation was a snap.

Remove old air cleaner and attach adaptor plate using two of the screws from the stock air cleaner and one new shorter screw from the Thunder kit. There is an L shaped fitting to attach the crankcase breather hose, you can see it in the lower right side of the adaptor plate.

Next up is the backingnplate of the air kit. You will notice a threaded hole that has nothing in it, you can plug this up. I called Thunder Mfg and they told me that it has since been removed from newer kits.

Now, just pop on the filter and outer cover and you are done!

There is plenty of clearance here. Something that concerns me about the SS custom air kit that is available. Not sure if it's just because this air kit is round and the one formerfuzz installed is the horizontal teardrop.

When you crank her up it's like a vacuum. You can hear it sucking that air! My FI2000R CL from Cobra should be here tomorrow.

I shot another video and it's much better than the first one...plus it's in the daylight!!. Click here to see/listen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The air cleaner looks sweet and I bet is sounds good as well. I went to the net to look for this air intake and I saw this statement on the description of the adaptor... "Note that when changing your airkit you will need to use an electronic fuel control system".

What do they mean by electronic fuel control system?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a fuel manager that is the equivalent of re-jetting carbs. It lets you control the amount of fuel delivered at 3 different stage of riding. I use a Cobra FI2000R.

If you just have the air kit or just exhaust you could get away with not using one. But, our bikes are set lean from the factory, and the more you modify the air/exhaust system the leaner it will get.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I definitely like the sound that the pipes and filter produce. I'm considering those pipes amongst other customizations I'd like to do to my bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't decide between the shorts or the slashdowns. Any performance difference between the two?

I just installed the Thunder Air kit last night and have a FI2000R on order. I just need to decide on the pipes. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to get the fuel management system before I'm allowed to buy that thing, cause California has some dumb rules about emissions.

Either way, I love the intake... I was going to just go with the K&N element but that looks (and probably sounds) too good to pass up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Performance mods

I have a couple of questions for the group who have made these types of modifications.
1. how many of you have made these changes and traveled to a different town or state with them and gotten into trouble with the cops due to noise ordenances?
2. Does the Fi2000 automatically handle the adjustments if you ride up into higher altitudes?

I have the 950 tourer and want to do some touring but don't want any hassles with individual interpretations of the law by law enforcement officers, or having to manually adjust the fuel management system half way up the mountain road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for stock filter housing

I bought an 09 950 off the showroom at a dealership i recently started working at. It had 500 miles but it came with the baffles completely removed and the pipe slash cut about 2/3 the original length. It looks and sounds good and is really loud but i dont mind seeing as im a young guy. It backfired pretty bad on decel and was a quite choppy until i installed my fi2000 a few days ago. I had the settings at 2.5-6-6 until i drilled my airbox yesterday. Its now at 2.5-7-7.5 and it purrs like a kitty cat. I have been extremely impressed with the gains and the smooth crisp powerband and throttle response. I drilled my holes in the front of the air box so that it only sucks cool fresh air, i have yet to install an aftermarket filter because they are $75! Im going to try and modify the stock filter to flow more air and i will let you guys know if i can make it work. Also i would like to buy a stock airbox housing because i drilled my holes crooked (the black half of the airbox only) if anyone has their oem left over from replacing it with aftermarket let me know please!

When i finish the filter mod this will be my setup and cost:
-High flow air filter $5
-Cold air intake
-Free flow exhaust
-Fi2000 fuel controller $160
-Hiflo oil filter $5

-$170 and it runs like a bat out of hell! With all these fairly easy mods im confident my bike will run with a bike with equivalent aftermarket parts and i saved myself almost 1000 bucks!

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
I bought an 09 950 off the showroom at a dealership i recently started working at. It had 500 miles but it came with the baffles completely removed and the pipe slash cut about 2/3 the original length. It looks and sounds good and is really loud but i dont mind seeing as im a young guy. It backfired pretty bad on decel and was a quite choppy until i installed my fi2000 a few days ago. I had the settings at 2.5-6-6 until i drilled my airbox yesterday. Its now at 2.5-7-7.5 and it purrs like a kitty cat. I have been extremely impressed with the gains and the smooth crisp powerband and throttle response. I drilled my holes in the front of the air box so that it only sucks cool fresh air, i have yet to install an aftermarket filter because they are $75! Im going to try and modify the stock filter to flow more air and i will let you guys know if i can make it work. Also i would like to buy a stock airbox housing because i drilled my holes crooked (the black half of the airbox only) if anyone has their oem left over from replacing it with aftermarket let me know please!

When i finish the filter mod this will be my setup and cost:
-High flow air filter $5
-Cold air intake
-Free flow exhaust
-Fi2000 fuel controller $160
-Hiflo oil filter $5

-$170 and it runs like a bat out of hell! With all these fairly easy mods im confident my bike will run with a bike with equivalent aftermarket parts and i saved myself almost 1000 bucks!
still have my OEM housing for my 950 after i replaced it.
i have my FI2000 set at 3-8-9. ride my bike pretty hard and gas light usually comes on at 140 miles. using LA Choppers air kit and V&H 2-2 big radius exhaust. how did you save $1000 bucks? both my air kit and FI cost me $200 apiece. I had the exhaust mod on my stock for a year before replacing it with the V&H unit. i thought i was happy with my setup until i got the V&H. worth every cent. really makes the engine sound and look like a monster thought most of my performance gains were from the air kit and FI unit

·
Registered
778 Posts
That sounds sweet and looks pretty easy to do. I'll have to add that to the list after the seat modification.

·
Registered
42 Posts
shade tree performance no to low buck do it yourself mods

It's a fuel manager that is the equivalent of re-jetting carbs. It lets you control the amount of fuel delivered at 3 different stage of riding. I use a Cobra FI2000R.

If you just have the air kit or just exhaust you could get away with not using one. But, our bikes are set lean from the factory, and the more you modify the air/exhaust system the leaner it will get.
you can get away without ever using one? The fuel injectors can be changed to bigger injectors or the same size but with more or a longer pulse of fuel for the stock computer to use and a new exhaust sinsor that is more sensitive than the stock sensor that plugs in the front of the mufflers and your done. I have a new open intake system with a k&n filter moded the stock air box myself. and gutted my mufflers out and my bike runs fine just like it is table top idle and no surging while running down the freeway. My spark plugs look great with that light color brown on the tip porcelain. Another words if your bike runs smooth and idles just like it did then you are OK for the most part. And my bike never runs hot so now what gives? My v star 950 is a late model 2010. The only thing that I have that is different is my friend who works at a metal fabricating company took my exhaust down to work with him and drilled out the side of the pipe just behind the smog plug and add a flapper valve that is spring loaded he had to use different size springs to get the correct amount of holding to keep the valve closed till you get down on the bike with the throttle opened. That is only open enough at idle to allow the motor to run smooth. He used high temp Teflon to seal the pipe back with Teflon sleeves for a leak free fit. The exhaust sound really muffled at idle when the motor is cold and then when warmed up sounds normal and runs normal till you get down and twist the grip and it has better low and mid range torque and is louder than hell when you twist the throttle wide open. But let off and run normal and no one knows it was you who made all that noise. unless they saw you first. Now how does it run it would fly before the mods but know it wants and will pull the front wheels up about a half inch when the power band kicks in. And more so with a speed shift with out letting of the throttle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts