Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New member here, and a new rider as well! I just picked up a 2012 V Star 950 Tourer a couple weeks ago, and have been having a blast getting comfortable on it and riding it around the neighborhood. The guy I bought it from had the original saddlebags (1 owner bike), but his cat had apparently used the bags as a scratching post, so they're pretty beat up. I bought a set of Viking large leather-wrapped hard bags, but they seem a little small on the bike. Does anyone have these bags on their bike? I'm wondering if I should return them for the extra-large, but I just wasn't sure how much bigger they would actually be and if they'd be too big. I'm planning on using the original bags for a little while so in case I drop the bike, it won't really matter if they get scuffed up. I just put a set of crash bars on, so between that and the old bags, the bike should be alright if I happen to drop it while getting comfortable on it. Thanks for the help!

Pic of the new bike to show it off ;)

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
Nice bike (love the color). Welcome to the forum from Southern Indiana!

There is a bunch of 950 owners on here so I'm sure one of them will be able to help with your question.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I have factory bags on my 950. I treated them with some leather conditioner and it changed their appearance instantly. Before replacing I would give it a shot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't know how big the OEM Saddlebags are on a 950. I can tell you that I've got the Viking Lamellar Extra Large bags on my V-Star 650 Classic. While I don't think they are as big (in Liters) as the OEM bags on Stratoliner S, the odd shape of the 'Liner' bags can make them a bit LESS useful than the Vikings. As an example - I buy soft drinks in the 12 pack of cans. I can get one in each Viking Bag. I don't think I can get one in the 'Liner'. The kind of teardrop shape is just not conducive to fitting that box. On the other hand, if you have "soft, squishy" stuff, the 'Liner will hold more. In one saddlebag, I can get my 3 person tent, folding chair, sleeping bag and air pad (doesn't quite qualify as an air mattress) and all my cooking gear.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The oem bags for the 950 are made by a Japanese company.
I can't remember the name of the company but it starts with a T.
Somebody with a better memory than mine help us out here.

You can get them on Ebay and they are cheaper than buying them from a Yamaha dealer

Here is a link for them on ebay. The seller does not list the manufacturer name. Other sellers there also have these bags

Hard Saddlebags K3 for Yamaha XV 950/ R Side cases | eBay

These are the synthetic leather like the original bags on the 950.
They are about the same price as the viking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I had some leather conditioner that I use on the seats of my truck and worked it into the saddlebags. It definitely made the leather look better, but it's still scratched and poked pretty bad from the previous owner's cat. I think the extra-large Viking bags are more similar to the size of the OEM ones, so I may try to return the ones I received for those, or even go with the ones Authentic Poser suggested.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Welcome very good ideas on the crash bars. I had an 1800VTX that i didn't have them on. It cost me $1300 deductible on the hernia surgery i got from almost dropping it. Bags are a hard thing i would cruise thru the pics thread and see if there are some you like and ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts