Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

Im a New member to this site .
Just got a 2007 Yamaha Vstar 1100 a few weeks ago and am tuning and cleaning the bike by myself for fun and learning at the same time.
I noticed that in the mufflers I have some loose baffles. Probably normal but in each muffler there is a baffle that is loose . I tried to hold the baffle while the engine is on with a plier to see if the sound would be affected ..but nothing. I tried to pull the baffle out but impossible it looks like its just the way they are ?????
Not sure if this makes sense unless you have a vstar stock exhaust pipe?????

Anybody ??

thanks

Phil

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha ha not trying to do.anything ...yet .
If you look inside the mufflers there is a long baffle that is loose ...I think it should be straight I took I pair of plier and pushed it back (it took quite some force) and now it's straight when you look in both muffler all you see is the hole of the baffle because it's no longer at 45 % touching the insude bottom of the the muffler ...that's all
It's a 2007 classic

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they were rattling since they were touching the onside of the muffler. .took care of them ..and might remove them one day

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 1100 currently has the stock exhaust with the baffling removed & it sounds great! No rattle, not obnoxiously loud either, just a nice hot rod sound when you open that throttle! I recommend you remove the baffling soon especially if it's already loose or rattling. . although you may need to re-jet the carburetors afterwards to accommodate the increased air flow.. Someone else here can advise you better than me but I believe it will improve efficiency, decrease a lil weight, sound better, & be cheaper than purchasing a new exhaust

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you remove them yourself? Re-jet ..not sure I want to mess up with the carburetors on my own .
Got to see what it involves before taking everything down :}}}}}

Thanks Vee twins

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
There is almost zero increased air flow when you remove the baffles. The restriction is all in the head pipe which is barely an inch or so in diameter. So no performance gain unless you replace everything...and obviously no need to change jets unless you add a full exhaust either.

All removing baffles does is make noise....all bark with zero bite.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just looked at the mufflers and realized that something was already done to it . The baffle in the midde was not centered as it was touching the lower part of the muffler .I pull it with a pair of plier and recenter it because it was rattling . Anyhow it looks like I'm missing some parts ....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
This is from the link I posted in the 3rd post in this thread. You may want to read it......

exhaust

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I read it .....but was just wandering if other biker had similar situation when buying their bikes :joy::joy::joy::joy:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Looks like they drilled it out with a hole saw but did not pull the baffles out. If this is the case just complete the mod. I did mine and was pleased with the results.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes but can't take the baffle out I'm using a wise grip and pulling like a mad man yet the baffle doesn't come out .....did you have a similar exhaust from a 2007 vstar classic

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
That's the final tail pipe, it was tack welded in place but the welds are broken as you can move it, The pipe has a flared end and you must man handle it to pull it thru the baffle.
This mod has been done hundreds of times.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear you ..better eat some spinach because I took two wise grip one at a 90 angle to the one holding the baffle and hammer the heck of it .....couldn't take it out ......I'll try again tonight

1 - 20 of 36 Posts