Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here but am hoping for some help. I have a 2005 VStar 650 custom. Last week I noticed my bike was leaking oil from the final drive. Decided to repair this myself, it turns out one of the bearings exploded and got chewed up in the gears taking a few orings with it, hence the leak. The bearing should be easy enough to replace but the problem is getting one of the retainer bearings out. This looks from the diagram like it was pressed into the housing. My question is does anyone know of a tool out there I can use to remove this bearing. I know there are several bearing removal tools out there but didn't know if there was one I could get either specifically for that bearing or a set for Yamaha's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

{link to schematic http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m10309sch521465
Bearing that exploded and needs replacing #9
Bearing that I need to remove #10}

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is a bummer. I wish I had some kind of advise for you but.......I don't, other than take it in to the dealer and have them complete that part of the job and you can knock out the rest. It will still be much cheaper in the long run. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Motocycle repair manual

Hi

I purchased the repair manual online from I beleive ""Clemmers"
I'm not sure on the spelling, just google the bilke name and model.
I paid about 25.00 bucks, the manual just helped my trouble shoot an electrical problem. The manual is broken down into small detail which really helpted me locate another electrical panel and the rogue "fuse". Good luck

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did manage to order the retainer bearing wrench from the dealership however turns out the splines on the pinion are damaged. but am unable to find some one selling only the pinion without ordering a whole new final drive assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Final Drive

Hi guys sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured i'd start here instead of just with a new question.

I have a 2006 1100 V Star that I think has a final drive problem, i heard and felt a clunk while driving and now when I roll the bike around with it off there is a slight grinding in the rear wheel area which I am pretty sure is inside the final drive.

I used to ride a GSXR and the forums were a great resource I ended up learning how to do all my own maintenance and repairs.

The VStar is only 1 year old to me and I've only done oil change and new tires so far. Anyone help me with a manual, or some guidance, or link to a write up on how to break into this thing to assess what damage was done on the final drive? My first bike with a shaft :|

thanks

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Its not that hard to get the final drives off these bikes

you take the wheel off, it slides out of the engine, and then it just... well.. falls off the back wheel.

I dont know where you can get the shop manual for the 1100. The 650 service manual has been posted in pdf online, dont know about the 1100.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list

read the first section on the proper way to start the bike without ruining the starter clutch. there is a chapter about the final drive and proper lubrication use moly 60 grease its called something else now the info is there somewhere. you can get a used rear assembly off ebay not to pricey. the last chapter in the link library i think there is pdf manuals shop and user.good luck.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,384 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,423 Posts
Hello, first post here but am hoping for some help. I have a 2005 VStar 650 custom. Last week I noticed my bike was leaking oil from the final drive. Decided to repair this myself, it turns out one of the bearings exploded and got chewed up in the gears taking a few orings with it, hence the leak. The bearing should be easy enough to replace but the problem is getting one of the retainer bearings out. This looks from the diagram like it was pressed into the housing. My question is does anyone know of a tool out there I can use to remove this bearing. I know there are several bearing removal tools out there but didn't know if there was one I could get either specifically for that bearing or a set for Yamaha's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

{link to schematic http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m10309sch521465
Bearing that exploded and needs replacing #9
Bearing that I need to remove #10}
if you replace just the gears and bearing your going to have to spend a lot of time shimming them, both the ring and pinion have shim/washers of varying thicknesses to get the correct tooth pattern. look on the parts list those washers come in 3 different thicknesses for the pinion gear and 7 for the ring. it's the same for the primary gear, shims are on transmission side and the shaft side, bevel gears have to line up right or they'll make noise and fail quickly, the reason that some pinion shaft bearings failed is because the retainer wasn't adjusted correctly at the factory, just like a lot of 5th gears failed on the 650 from not being pressed into the correct position, i had to replace both 5th gears on mine because of it, you don't need a tool for the retainer you just tap it around with a brass drift it's not that tight

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,423 Posts
Its not that hard to get the final drives off these bikes

you take the wheel off, it slides out of the engine, and then it just... well.. falls off the back wheel.

I dont know where you can get the shop manual for the 1100. The 650 service manual has been posted in pdf online, dont know about the 1100.
i think he's talking about opening it up to change inernals

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,423 Posts
Hi guys sorry to resurrect an old thread but I figured i'd start here instead of just with a new question.

I have a 2006 1100 V Star that I think has a final drive problem, i heard and felt a clunk while driving and now when I roll the bike around with it off there is a slight grinding in the rear wheel area which I am pretty sure is inside the final drive.

I used to ride a GSXR and the forums were a great resource I ended up learning how to do all my own maintenance and repairs.

The VStar is only 1 year old to me and I've only done oil change and new tires so far. Anyone help me with a manual, or some guidance, or link to a write up on how to break into this thing to assess what damage was done on the final drive? My first bike with a shaft :|

thanks
no manual will help with breaking it down they only show removing it form the bike it.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,384 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,423 Posts
Section 6, starting page 75 shows differential breakdown, specs and rebuilding.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/7-library/manuals

Here is a sample:
my bad, i was talking about my bike with the 650 rear drive, you can find used 1100 rear drives for a hundred bucks but a 650 you won't find one under 350.00. i don't know why that is they look like they're put together the same way, i don't know why you might need to change shims just changing bearings but that manual say's it might be necessary, i would of thought those shims did more than adjust backlash i thought they would change the tooth alignment. i know on cars they do, why not just get a used one i'v even seen one under a hundred now and again, i just took another look 27.50 for one on ebay right now

·
Banned
42 Posts
my bad, i was talking about my bike with the 650 rear drive, you can find used 1100 rear drives for a hundred bucks but a 650 you won't find one under 350.00. i don't know why that is they look like they're put together the same way, i don't know why you might need to change shims just changing bearings but that manual say's it might be necessary, i would of thought those shims did more than adjust backlash i thought they would change the tooth alignment. i know on cars they do, why not just get a used one i'v even seen one under a hundred now and again, i just took another look 27.50 for one on ebay right now

i read online where i think it was the virago 535 final drive is same model number. ...would be cheaper than a 650..same model numberbis spose to be a cheaper priced replacement for same identical drive.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,625 Posts
You can use the internals from the 535 (and likely also the 500, but cannot say for sure), but housings differ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts