Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
My name is Lewis and I am from Oklahoma. My previous bikes were a 1981 Yamaha XJ 650 Maxim (Found in an old mans back yard and he sold it to me for 200 bucks and I fixed it up and rode the hell out of it!) and a 1980 Honda CB 900. (I love a cruiser with an inline four.) While I love those old bikes. I am getting older and the suspension and seats leave a lot to be desired. I am ready for a comfortable cruiser with enough power to get on the interstate! I have wanted a vstar since the earty 2000's sexy bike for sure but I was young and dumb and loved my old bikes to much.

The bike I am purchasing this Saturday is a 2000 Yamaha XVS 1100 custom. It looks like it has a two tone burgundy with cream paint. The place is holding it for me till this Saturday so I can test ride it and give them some moolah.

I AM NOT A MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC AND I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE.
I am a parts changer. Can sort of diagnose stuff and then start with the cheapest part and keep going until it's fixed lol.

I love reading the books and taking bikes apart and putting them back together.

Anyways thanks for the add,
Lewis

Registered
Welcome from Pensacola.
Before you even sit on the 1100, you need to learn this. Never touch the throttle when starting that bike, only use the choke. It is very touchy on it's TPS and changes the timing when you use the throttle. This can cause the starter to kick back and break the starter clutch. Then you are looking at a $1,000 repair. Everything else on that bike is close to bullet proof, but not the starter clutch.

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. The 1100 is a very reliable and fun bike. Definitely need to post pictures when you get it. Ride safe and often.

Registered
Don't go to Orlando, traffic is terrible, too many tourists. Here a traffic jam is 20 cars waiting on the light to turn green.
Did you grow up in that area?

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
I grew up
Physically? Looks like you grew out as much as up.
Mentally? I think that jury has a split ruling on that one.

• Haha
Reactions: Jspree
1 - 20 of 29 Posts