Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 star 1100 and I did a dynojet kit w/stock intake and cobra slip-ons , when I accelerate lightly(0-1/4 throttle)(It is not noticeable if I open the throttle hard) ,there is a noticeable lag until the main jets kick in at about 2000-2500rpm (kinda like its starving for air/fuel).this problem is not present when I swap the stock exhaust back on,obviously has to do with the back pressure that the stock pipes create , but can you point me in the right direction as to a fix.
the bike is stock less the jetting and slip-ons.

I used the dynojet needles and the bigger DJ112(front) & DJ110( rear ) jets, set the clip to 3 groove ( from top) and did not use the additional washer that came w/kit just as they suggested, then had the bike tuned at my break-in tune up and told them that it had been re-jetted and needed to be adjusted( sync'd)

Any help would be much appreciated , thanks to all ( Great site )

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like when I convert my fuel consumption, From 10.323 litres for 235 kms, to miles per gallon , I get 59 mpg. sounds like a lot,, but maybe that's the reason you suggest it is running lean..

So maybe I should consider lowering my clip to 5(f)4(r) like the other guy did and see if it helps..

Any other thoughts from the fuel mileage results come to mind?

Thanks guys, always nice to get feedback, helps to decide what to do next, as I would rather not spend too much time tearing it apart instead of riding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like after reading the mikuni/dynojet jet comparisons , that the dyno jet kit is in fact a lot smaller jet sizes over stock sizes. I had stock jets ( mikuni )115& 112.5 and the dynojet kit comes with two sets a smaller and bigger set of jets, well the bigger ones are 110 & 112 which by the comparison charts makes the stock ones 5 sizes bigger than dynojet, not very cool, if that's right.

Maybe I should instead, go back to the factory jets .
I suppose I need to go to the factory needled too, but should I use spacers( how many and where top? or bottom I would guess... sorry it's getting late and my brain is not all that effective right now..lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another question for you guys, since my lag in acceleration is only with a light throttle and up to approx 2000-2500rpm is, my problem with the main jets or just in the primaries that are too small and therefore creating the noticeable difference until the mains kick in?

Great now i'm starting to throw doubt in the air...

Maybe someone has there thinkin caps on...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Here's another chart and why I was asking you about throttle position. RPMs can be misleading 2500rpm in 5th is a whole different position than in 1st, accelerating or lugging. Mark your throttle position with tape and let me know where you're at.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#Carb-Discuss

Do you have the stock parts, jets needles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts