Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly after 11000 miles i am getting intermittent errors from my tps sensor. I have been cruising down the road and just randomly the check engine light comes on and i loose power. When i turn the key off and then click it back to on. I get 3 blinks from the check engine light. When i inspect the sensor it has white corrosion on it. I haven't yet removed the seat and tank to check the ohm ranges. That is my next step. However if its where it should, where can i find a cost effective tps replacement? Or do they just cost around $140 like I've seen online?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Double check those blinks....there is more than 1 group of flashes so basically you have half the code.

33 is primary lead Ignition coil #1 short circuit. It will close the fuel shutoff solenoid on cyl 1.

34 is primary lead coil #2 short circuit which closes the fuel shut off on cyl 2.

Those are the only codes with a 3....and neither has anything to do with the TPS.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Check your ignition wire ends both at the coil and at the plug cap. They screw in/on to a stud and do come loose. Also a bad wire can cause the coil to arc thru the case. Only seen that on GM coils, so take it with a grain of salt. You can also run the bike in the dark and check the wires for St Elmos Fire (external glowing or sparking)/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was 3-3 i will definately check that out. Thank you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am i correct that the coil and the wire per cylinder are one item. Not a seperate wire and coil? I have no problem replacing these parts since im already tearing into the bike during prime riding season here in colorado. What would you guys recommend? And certain brands of coils and wires?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Did you check for a short in the primary wire? These coils rarely go bad. You can replace the coil and still have an issue with the wires going into it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You can replace the sparkplug wires without replacing coils..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i look on the parts diagram they are showing the coil and wire as one unit. anyone have a part number for the spark plug wires?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Talk to Tim at Metric Magic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts