Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

Little backround first. Bike is xvs650 1998 and as a smart boy I chopped the wiring harness off and start to build new one thinking I Make it with m-unit. Old harness is gone and Pictures Lost in lake with old phone..I know.:ROFLMAO::rolleyes: plans changed and im keeping the original gastank and meter, and ignition lock. I seem to have couple of wires Lost and couple wires too much.
I add couple schematic Pictures I have used cause didnt find 98 model schematic anywhere.. +the old harness was altered little bit. So I have old connectors to the igniter unit and relay box but there is not that blue/white wire option for neutral light indicator at all? Thats first problem and the other one maybe simple but I dont get it. From ignition lock there comes blue/red and blue wire, do I need those somewhere? Then there comes thick brown/blue whitch goes to fuses that I wont need(I think) since im using that m-unit? Do I need that at all? Everything else is wired hopefully correct. I dont have that m-unit yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'd would suggest getting a Clymers manual. It has the wiring diagrams for early years which are different from those posted. For instance, there is no blue/white wire to the neutral switch, just a solid blue wire to the relay unit. Not familiar with the m unit so I dont have much else to offer.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,958 Posts
Are you still going with M Unit, you post kinda confused me. If you are using the M Unit why not just use their recommended wire diagram? As far an neutral light, I road bikes for years before I had a light that came on to tell me it was in neutral. The neutral switch is a ground switch which can easily be by passed for testing purposes.

[/URL]

Font Line Material property Parallel Rectangle

Reactions: dmil123

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers. I dont usually use any safetyswitches or indicator lights but this is my first bike with suicide clutch and hand shifter. As im using original tank and meter, i think i use all those indicator lights as well.

What comes to m-unit(witch i still dont have), i still have to use my ignitor unit, relay box, starter solenoid and a lot of wires still..im using m-button but those are only motogadget parts.

I have to search more to find that clymer manual.👍

·
13,958 Posts
Just searched old threads and found a wiring diagram for 1999... maybe it will help... follow link.
Good find!

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just searched old threads and found a wiring diagram for 1999... maybe it will help... follow link.
Theres same colouring in wires partly but i dont have those oil level relays, trip sensors and i have manual speedsensor in front wheel..maybe because i have european model, but theres a lot that doenst match on the bike i have. 🙄

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres same colouring in wires partly but i dont have those oil level relays, trip sensors and i have manual speedsensor in front wheel..maybe because i have european model, but theres a lot that doenst match on the bike i have. 🙄
But there is a lot of simularities tho..but that ignition lock where comes those blue/red and blue, could it be that those are for that meter lights(blue) and tail light(blue/red)..i have 6 wires coming out of that lock. Same 4 wires as in that diagram+those two.

·
13,958 Posts
This is making some sense now, I didn’t think about it being a DragStar. There are slight differences with a main one being it has an immobilizer which is different from the North American version. Research on you side of the pond might bring up some work arounds.
Font Automotive lighting Audio equipment Headlamp Peripheral

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Electric blue

Reactions: dmil123

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You might try an internet search for Dragstar service manuals. I just quickly found this mention on Ebay and appears to cover your model and includes colored wiring diagram.

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you both for help! I didnt realize there was so much difference in european vs. American models. I havent found european forums that are very active, but here i have found very much overall information..in Finland theres not really many people who customs yamaha, honda etc..mostly harleys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Winter is finally over here in Finland and everything else is in place, but that m-units ignition side is causing headache. Im using original key switch but now im really confused about what and where to wire from starter relay. What wire i should use to those two "start"-outputs in m-unit..starter relay, theres 6 wires, ofcourse one from starter motor, second from battery, red/white to killswitch, black to ground, red to reg/rec and key switch, fourth is blue to relay unit. What wire of these goes to that "start output" on m unit? Do i take that main 12v power straight from battery to m-unit and take that starter relays red straight to key switch and power that "lock" input on m-unit using blue wire from key switch? Im so confused, any help is very helpful!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So forget everything else, all works except starter relay..i have 4 wires in starter relay+one to starter motor(ok) and one to battery(ok)..then blue wire thats from start output m-unit, one thick red(ok), red/white(ok)..THEN one black wire that gives +12v, where the hell do i connect this??? I feel really stupid now but i just dont know so pleeeeeeease help!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
@Sss, I am not familiar with the M controller or M unit. Does it come with its own wiring harness and, if so, do you have a color coded wiring diagram that shows connections to bike components? Or, do you need to rewire the existing bike harness and associated components to it? In my Clymers, the black wire feeds the starter motor off the starter relay. The heavy red wire supplies +12v to the starter relay and the black wire carries it to the starter when the relay is pulled up. So, I am confused by how you are trying to wire it.

Product Rectangle Black Font Schematic

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts