Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my rear tire on my 1100 vstar. Label on bike says rear tire pressure at 33 psi & new tire is max 41 psi. Tire supplier said to rating on tire. It's a Bridgestone Exedra G702 and I've felt like tire
Sliding a few times on me at 41 psi.

What tire pressure are you using on your vstar 1100 and when you change tires have you used tire or bike rating?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few people also told me that but it
Felt soft in Rear. I called the store who
Sold and installed tire and
They told me to always go with tire rating
On side of tire

·
Registered
342 Posts
Go according to the label on the bike, not the max rating on the tire.
Disagree, that usually leads to shorter tire life and less than optimal handling. I usually try to keep mine within 2 PSI of max.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Keep in mind that because the tires says MAX 41 lbs.....that doesn't mean that is where you should set it on a cold tire. Tire pressure increases as much as 5-10 lbs when you actually get out on pavement and ride (fluctuation is much less if you use nitrogen).

So you need to check pressure on the tire when it is hot. If it is set at 41 lbs cold....you are most likely exceeding the manufacturers recommendation when you ride and would most likely feel performance loss and are definitely pushing the safety limits.

So, remember to check your tires when hot....and also when they are cold and you'll get a feel for the best pressures for you and your riding style.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have always been told the opposite. The psi ratings on the vehicle and tire are cold. When they engineer the product they take heat expansion into account. I think if you look at the label on the bike you will see it specifically says cold. I know your car will. I doubt many people will really go out and ride 5-10 miles and then stop and check psi.
Run the recommended psi that the bike manufacturer suggests. The max psi listed on the tire is just that...a max. Its just a liability buffer for the manufacturer

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Motorcycle Industry Tire Guide says, "Set tire pressure when cold. At least three hours after a ride. Set the tire pressures according to your motorcycle owners manual or the tire information label on the chain guard, frame or swingarm". :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Yes the rating on tire is 41 cold. Bike says
33 max psi on rear. I'm going to try 33 & 35 &
Adjust from there. The guy who sold me the
Tire said ignore label on bike and go with tire
Rating 41 psi. I don't think this is correct. I know when I had 41 cold
it felt like the rear end was going to slide out
From underneath me.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The max psi listed on the tire is just that...a max. Its just a liability buffer for the manufacturer
LOL.....Absolutely it is. Because when your tire blows out due to over-inflation they don't want to get sued because of other peoples stupidity. Like anything else, I'm sure they are conservative with the number. I just don't want to bet my life on how much.

I like to check my tire temps hot as well as cold. Different things happen to a tire on a 50 degree day than they do on a 100 degree day. But that habit just comes from time at the track trying to maximize performance and wear. For me, I'd like close to the same hot pressure as I can get every time I ride.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Usually, a given tire can be used on several motorcycles. The tire sidewall pressure is a maximum rating, and may not be appropriate for all of the motorcycles the tire might fit. All by itself that should tell you not to blindly use the number marked on the tire. Sometimes makers recommend tire pressures for particular machines, and that data might be available on the tire maker's web site. Otherwise I would suggest the pressure recommended by the bike manufacturer, and perhaps adjust the pressure up or down a little until I liked the results.

Like oil brands and weights, octane ratings, and tire brands, there will be many opinions. The old saying is "Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and no one cares much about anyone else's."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was curious about the reading hot and cold.
Set pressure at 34 and went for an hour ride.
Reading at end if ride was 36.5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts