Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I mostly do it outside of Home Depot or a local super market where they have plenty of space available. I've never seen anyone complain or cops write tickets.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
saw a guy with a HD parked right infront of the NO PARKING FIRE LANE sign in the walkway at Walmart

that is also where ambulances park when there is a medical emergency in the store - see that quite often

dont know about you guys, I need all the exercise I can get

also keep going till I can find a pull-thru, esp with Ursa

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I park in regular parking spot. I do try to get parking spot with good visabilty of bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Local eatery/pub on the edge of a walking mall that I frequent, I use to park on the sidewalk. It was wide enough to fit the bike and still allow a regular sidewalk width for pedestrians to walk on and long enough to fit half a dozen bikes. At some point last year the local cops started issuing tickets apparently for parking there. In my opinion a few of us parking bikes there instead of the parking lot freed up spots for a car with several people in it to easily enjoy the pub as well, thereby helping the pub make money.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
What do you think of the practice?
some young mom comes out of the store with a baby in a stroller and a toddler just able to walk by itself walks over to your freshly parked bike, and toddler grabs the 1000 degree exhaust with her hand...

because its parked on the side walk, where people and children walk, and moms dont expect a hot machine to be parked there...

thats what I think

·
Registered
18 Posts
And then there's Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday I had to go to a lab on a hospital campus. Parking only available in a structure some distance away, and the lab doesn't validate. So I parked on the frontage area. I was nervous about it, but after an hour, no ticket and no complaints. Sure was convenient.

But thought I would ask about the ettiquette. I see bikes in the walkways often.

When I park in the regular lot, I make a point of leaving the end of the bike out far enough to be easily seen. So drivers can see the spot is taken from a distance.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
some young mom comes out of the store with a baby in a stroller and a toddler just able to walk by itself walks over to your freshly parked bike, and toddler grabs the 1000 degree exhaust with her hand...

because its parked on the side walk, where people and children walk, and moms dont expect a hot machine to be parked there...

thats what I think
they also walk by your bike parked in a parking spot and can easily do the same there

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't park on sidewalks or walkways. I use designated parking spaces. Occasionally in a crowded parking lot I'll park in one one of those small spaces in a corner, usually triangle shaped, that aren't big enough to be a parking slot. I figure as long as I'm not blocking a fire hydrant or anything it's ok, and it frees up a spot for a car.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
they also walk by your bike parked in a parking spot and can easily do the same there
yes and in a parking lot parents know there are cars driving around and its dangerous and they would not let their kids run more than an arms length away, any car may be about to pull out, or back out, and they expect that

but when you see a vehicle in a place where you would not expect it, or where its not suppose to be, then either some DS parked his car, truck, bus, motorcycle where its illegal (the NO PARKING FIRE LANE sign was right by the HD)

or the vehicle is parked there for some other purpose, like... its on display, its being raffled off for charity...

for example, when Lowes had Jimmy Johnson's NASCAR racecar at the local Lowes on display, that where it was, right by the entrance, under the giant LOWES sign.

now you got me wondering what a fire chief will do when he pulls up to a public building in Pumper #1
and there is a motorcycle parked in the fire lane..

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
how do you figure?!

do you let your kids walk around in the store by themselves, within eyesight?

do you let your kids walk on the sidewalk by themselves, where you can see them?

or do you make your kids hold your hand, or put one of those leash things on them everywhere they go?

When you get out of a store and down the sidewalk, and head into the parking lot, do you keep them close or let them run off?

Im sure there must be some reason why we dont let motorvehicles drive on the sidewalk,
or park there

maybe there is no reason, its just ticket bait.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My opinion, hang on to your toddler before you walk out the door of the store. Cars are racing by right outside, and toddlers are likely to bolt away toward your car. Tried catching a toddler lately?

And if the kid is old enough to walk to the car on their own, time for them to learn to keep their damned hands off my bike.

Like most things, there isn't one answer. Many stores have really wide frontage areas. Not sure what to call it. Patio maybe? Frontage pad? Walkway wasn't the best choice of words. I wouldn't park on sidewalks where folks would commonly be walking to or from the store.

I shopped a Lowes and a HD last night. I parked out front at each, and didn't get a second look from anyone.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If it is a real large place where it doesn't impede customers i think it is ok. I have seen people at some stores where they do i don't think it is ok. In short i don't but don't look down on those that do. I guess i just don't encourage kids to paw my bike

·
Registered
61 Posts
If its okay for us to park our motorcycles in non parking spots like sidewalks and walkways it is okay to park a car or truck there also? To me it is the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
how do you figure?!

do you let your kids walk around in the store by themselves, within eyesight?

do you let your kids walk on the sidewalk by themselves, where you can see them?

or do you make your kids hold your hand, or put one of those leash things on them everywhere they go?

When you get out of a store and down the sidewalk, and head into the parking lot, do you keep them close or let them run off?

Im sure there must be some reason why we dont let motorvehicles drive on the sidewalk,
or park there

maybe there is no reason, its just ticket bait.

have you ever been to a grocery store? Walmart? how often do you see kids tethered on a leash within 2 feet from a parent? kids run around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts