Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
If my dealer would change my oil and filter for $10, I'd go to the dealer. I'd take their list and drive off happy.
yeah... but... gotta drive the car there, then wait for the tech to change it, or leave it there, get a ride home.. come back...

The last time I took a vehicle to get an oil change was when the mechanic put the new filter on with a pneumatic air gun. Had it torqued on so hard the next oil change I had to drive holes in with a screwdriver to get it off. Thats when I took the oath.

Oil is the life of your engine, if they screw it up, if they forget to refill it and drive it out into the parking lot, running the engine just for a few minutes will take 50,000 miles of wear off your bearings. They could use the wrong oil, strip out the drain plug... its just not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I shop Amazon. K&N filters and oil for less delivered to my door in as little as two days. And, I get a bigger selection.
You can purchase pretty much any oil online and have it delivered to your door, I order my Redline online and have it delivered to me, I look for sales and such and order extra oil at the sale price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you do use the Shell Rotella (T4) oil and are a Costco member I believe they've got it on sale now. 4 - 1 gallon jugs for $40.

$2.50 per quart is a pretty decent price for a quality oil. Only drawback is if you don't want to store what you're not using at the moment. But when your F250 diesel takes 15 quarts per oil change you tend to buy in quantity.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
there is debate over shelf life of motor oil

owners manual says to change your oil every 4000 miles, or every 2 years, even if you dont ride it at all

4 gallons would last 5 years for my 650, 3 quarts per year (4000 miles on average)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes I can see where that wouldn't make sense for you. Like I said, with my pickup, tractors, etc. I go through a fair amount of oil and filters. So stocking up during a sale makes sense for me. Just passing along the info in case it makes sense for others.

·
Registered
691 Posts
there is debate over shelf life of motor oil

owners manual says to change your oil every 4000 miles, or every 2 years, even if you dont ride it at all

4 gallons would last 5 years for my 650, 3 quarts per year (4000 miles on average)
The reason for the time limit is not because the oil goes bad, it is because of condensation if the motor just sits in the weather without being started or if the engine is only started and run for short periods so the oil never gets to temp to burn off the contaminants.

Bottled oil is not going to go bad. I store mine in my office room in the air conditioning

21 - 26 of 26 Posts