Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a 2009 950 that I really love riding. Recently I have come to the thought that I need a larger engine in my bike.
I have been riding with the American Legion Patriot Guard for several years and it has been hard on the 950 to keep the speed up to maintain the speed that they cruise.
I have found out the Yamaha dealer in my area has a new 2013 and a new 2014 Roadliner S in stock for about $9,000 each. I have also been looking at the new Strykers.
Which bike would everybody recommend buying and why?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
How fast to do you need to go?!

Are they riding R1s ?

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
for under $1K you can upgrade your exhaust, air intake, and add a fuel processor which will give your bike a lot more HP and torque. i ride with dozens of other bikers, mostly on big harleys, nearly every single weekend. and i don't have trouble keeping up with them on my '09 950. as long as we're not drag racing, the upgrades i put on do me just fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,019 Posts
If you're wanting a cruiser that'll stretch its legs, I'd think that Roadie would be a great choice, but that's just me. See if you can test ride each one and see how they feel out on the open road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rest of the people are riding Harley's (except for 1 person who has a Roadliner) and they are usually do 80 mph on the highways. I know my bike can do it but I feel that I am pushing it to its limits doing that for 2-3 hours at a stretch, so I have been looking at buying a bigger engined bike to make these trips on. I chose the Stryker (1300 cc) and the Roadline (1870 cc) because of the larger engine, the comfortable feel of the bike, and the cost of the bike. I still want to keep my 950 because I like it alot.
I know I could put a new exhaust, intake and fuel processor on the bike to get more hp and torque, but I was thinking that the money that it would cost (about $1,000) I could buy myself a larger bike to use for those trips thus not running the 950 so hard on the freeways. That's what I am thinking. Am I wrong in my thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,019 Posts
I did the upgrades you refer to on my 950 and 80 plus is no problem now. I did all of those upgrades for under $700. I understand your point and if you can swing going for a larger cc engine bike, I say go for it. With a roadie and a 950, you'd have the best of both worlds, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm with Keith, If you can afford it go for it. I recommend the 1300 Tourer. I have one and a 950. The 1300 just cruises so nice and smooth down the highway. Test ride one if ya get a chance.
Id say my 1300 tourer is right on what you will be looking for iv put 14,000 miles on mine and love every mile of it and will keep up at 80 and want more

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you can afford the bigger bike go for it.
My 950T has the extra power mods mentioned here. Big help in power and cruising.
But nowhere near as much as a 1300 or 1800.
Those will cruise way easier and more relaxed at freeway speeds.
80 mph on my 950? Power is okay but vibration and busy engine drives me nuts. 70 mph seems to be the comfort level for any longer rides. I really want to change the front pulley to drop highway rpms right now.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Local dealer has a 2014 VS 1300 that has never been sold for $10k.

Looked at it for a while the other day when I picked up a tappet cover o-ring.

Twice the bike that my 650 is, in every way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts