Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I joined this forum just to talk to you. I bought the gray 2020 and no the GPS didn't work. I read all about the 2018's issues and badgered my dealer and Yamaha about it all too and also to the fact that most 2018's the GPS problem got fixed, just not my 2020. Yamaha is pretty proud of the GPS on their website displaying the GPS in two different places 2nd page down https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details-build-price.php?model=5225&group=MC&catId=1 but as we know it don't work. Things went south and I gave the bike back but I didn't realize how much I liked the rest of the bike because I was so concerned Yamaha was screwing me. My second choice was Indian and then a new wing. Boy, did I get lucky to find this left over red 2018 out of town and I can tell you the oem gps if anything like the factory gps in my 2015 GMC I sometime can't find my way across town with it anyway.

Looking back I was sad to give the bike back, I'm sure Yamaha will get yours fixed...eventually....be patient even when Yamaha won't give a call and say....hey sorry about the issue, we''ll get it fixed, here's some accessories or a discount nothing from them not even a phone call for me.

All this to say go to costco and spend 2 or 300 and get a garmin and just go ride...I lost two months riding by fighting
I still have my Garmin that I took off my Roadstar and recently attended a charity ride where a GPS was good to have. I don't want to permanently mount the Garmin on the SVTC because the panel in front of me is busy enough and they will eventually get me a working GPS (I hope!!!). The tank on the SVTC is flat enough that I was able to use the car mount for my GPS and plug it into the cigarette plug for power. Not a great set up but it got me through the charity run.

I emailed Yamaha Canada again this morning asking for an update, they will get weekly emails/phone calls from me until this is resolved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yamaha Canada confirmed for me that they are testing a potential fix for the GPS software activation this week. I hope they got it resolved.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yamaha Canada confirmed for me that they are testing a potential fix for the GPS software activation this week. I hope they got it resolved.
This is an 'interesting' GPS glitch...for all of the rider reviews, have stated that there were no differences between the 2020 model and the 2018. Harmon Kardon is Yamaha's sub-contractor for the software of the Power Head which the GPS system is integral. If they did indeed ship a 2020 with a System Software, higher than v12.0.6...(which still is on both the Canadian as well as the American Yamaha website...that's what might be happening, is that the update is not being accepted by the GPS internal Power Head module.

If that is the case...then the easy fix...would be to download v12.0.6 onto a compatible flash drive...and introduce that to the update/unlock procedure. That would work...for there is nothing different technologically, between a 2018 and the 2020....

Rob...try that...it will not 'damage' your Power Head..and if there is an update this is going to be available for mass download...then you'll get that, alongside all of us...even though most of us have turned blue waiting for it...and are sinking below the waves....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is an 'interesting' GPS glitch...for all of the rider reviews, have stated that there were no differences between the 2020 model and the 2018. Harmon Kardon is Yamaha's sub-contractor for the software of the Power Head which the GPS system is integral. If they did indeed ship a 2020 with a System Software, higher than v12.0.6...(which still is on both the Canadian as well as the American Yamaha website...that's what might be happening, is that the update is not being accepted by the GPS internal Power Head module.

If that is the case...then the easy fix...would be to download v12.0.6 onto a compatible flash drive...and introduce that to the update/unlock procedure. That would work...for there is nothing different technologically, between a 2018 and the 2020....

Rob...try that...it will not 'damage' your Power Head..and if there is an update this is going to be available for mass download...then you'll get that, alongside all of us...even though most of us have turned blue waiting for it...and are sinking below the waves....
Thank you, I will give them a bit longer. My next trip is not until mid August so I have time. I keep bugging them each week and hopefully their testing was a success this week. If I don't get the fix then I will bug you to see if you can tell me how to download the v12.0.6. Tonight I will look to see what version is on my bike

·
Registered
11 Posts

You might have read my other post where I said I gave my 2020 back because the GPS didn't work. I was in the same boat as this guy that a such a high-end touring bike with GPS better work or give me back my money or do something to help me out already. They did give my money back and now I realize there is NOTHING the dealer or Yamaha can do on the 2020 and I tried all your tricks as well. I now have a new 2018 down loaded the update and boom...bob's ur uncle. 2020's are different and Yamaha has no clue...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I checked tonight the version on the bike is v12.1.0. Again I will wait to see if they come up with a fix soon and if they don't I will ask you if you know how to download the v12.0.6

·
Registered
809 Posts
I checked tonight the version on the bike is v12.1.0. Again I will wait to see if they come up with a fix soon and if they don't I will ask you if you know how to download the v12.0.6
So...there is then an update...hmmm. My dealer said that there was one coming about a month ago now...but it looks like a very small incremental update...or there would be v13.x

So...we now go from v12.0.6 to v12.1.0.

Well, Rob, we know that you can unlock and download the GPS maps with v12.0.6, but truly...if it were me, I wouldn't retro the software version. Yamaha will need to figure this out with their sub-contractor...Harmon Kardon. (owned by Samsung Ltd.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So...there is then an update...hmmm. My dealer said that there was one coming about a month ago now...but it looks like a very small incremental update...or there would be v13.x

Well, Rob, we know that you can unlock and download the GPS maps with v12.0.6, but truly...if it were me, I wouldn't retro the software version. Yamaha will need to figure this out with their sub-contractor...Harmon Kardon. (owned by Samsung Ltd.)
I will keep bugging Yamaha (Canada) until they fix the current version. I am only about an hour away from their Canadian head office and if I don't get the fix within two weeks I will make the drive over there and hopefully be able to speak with someone more senior.

But hopefully none of this will be necessary because they are testing the fix this week, I will be reaching out to them again on Monday.

·
Registered
445 Posts

I will keep bugging Yamaha (Canada) until they fix the current version. I am only about an hour away from their Canadian head office and if I don't get the fix within two weeks I will make the drive over there and hopefully be able to speak with someone more senior.

But hopefully none of this will be necessary because they are testing the fix this week, I will be reaching out to them again on Monday.
RobG best of luck.
I hope you can get this resolved soon.
I had a very similar issue the first few weeks of ownership and I was lucky enough to run into a few Corp guys at one of the demo events and asked a few questions. One thing lead to another and soon I was working with the tech guy to resolve the issue. What helped me was I figured out what caused the issue and was able to duplicate on their demo bikes. Again it helped me. Then a few days later while getting updates from corp that they would soon have a fix, I figured out my or the USA issue with the home address. I called my contact at Corp and they posted a video. I hope you can do the same.
Question did the GPS work at all? If so then you should be able to get it back again. I would also go to the dealer and see if any of the demo bikes have the GPS working.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
RobG best of luck.
I had a very similar issue the first few weeks of ownership and I was lucky enough to run into a few Corp guys at one of the demo events and asked a few questions. One thing lead to another and soon I was working with the tech guy to resolve the issue. What helped me was I figured out what caused the issue and was able to duplicate on their demo bikes. Again it helped me. Then a few days later while getting updates from corp that they would soon have a fix, I figured out my or the USA issue with the home address. I called my contact at Corp and they posted a video. I hope you can do the same.
Question did the GPS work at all? If so then you should be able to get it back again. I would also go to the dealer and see if any of the demo bikes have the GPS working.
They were never able to activate the GPS, when you go to the GPS home screen it is grey. Mine is the only bike the dealer has sold...and I checked with a few dealers in the Toronto area and have not got anywhere so far.

Yamaha Canada said they have the fix (from Yamaha Japan) and are testing it this week. I will ask again on Monday, I checked last night and there was no update posted yet.

·
Registered
809 Posts
They were never able to activate the GPS, when you go to the GPS home screen it is grey. Mine is the only bike the dealer has sold...and I checked with a few dealers in the Toronto area and have not got anywhere so far.

Yamaha Canada said they have the fix (from Yamaha Japan) and are testing it this week. I will ask again on Monday, I checked last night and there was no update posted yet.
Well, that must mean for the vast majority of us that own 2018's...that a downloadable v12.1.0 is coming soon. All I know, is that because we have waited so long for an update to the Power Head Software, if it borks our 2018's...there's gonna be a riot, that will make the Area 51 'storming' look like a Church Picnic, lol!

Why am I laughing?.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, that must mean for the vast majority of us that own 2018's...that a downloadable v12.1.0 is coming soon. All I know, is that because we have waited so long for an update to the Power Head Software, if it borks our 2018's...there's gonna be a riot, that will make the Area 51 'storming' look like a Church Picnic, lol!

Why am I laughing?.....
Friendly suggestion, don't download any upgrades until I tell you they have one that works...I will post the green light to this message board...hopefully soon.

·
Registered
445 Posts
RobG best of luck.

RobG.
Got it. I hope soon they will figure it out. I was one of the first to own this and got the first problem and Yamaha was able to determine the problem and fix it in the software. It took a few weeks to confirm the work around I provided and create a video so hopefully they will have a patch and then a fix and update.
Do we know if the USA version has the same issue.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Rob, not sure if you have heard it on XM just yet, but if you are already paying for the full access with your Car's audio you can now download the XM App on your phone and then all you would need to is use the BT feature for the XM radio.
They just opened the app up free to subscribers last weekend, they have been talking about it on the Highway and No Shoe Radio, not sure about the other stations but I would assume it to be the same.
Might save you a few bucks at any rate.

Not sure if this may help but when I purchased my bike I also had issues with the GPS Nav. big surprise right? Anyways what I found was that every time that I would save my Home address as "Home" in their preset "Home" location it would blank out, freeze up and stop working completely. I had to take it in several times for this and other issues regarding the Infotainment System. I'd had enough and asked them change it out and so far this seemed to have worked the best. When they did swapped it they had to issue a new Card with new codes. you might try this route, it will take them some time to get it in so have them order it and then call you when its in, I am the mistake of leaving the bike, took over a month....
So after I reset it again recognizing this issue in their application I just left my "Home" button unprogrammed, and it worked and has worked fine. With the latest update, it has a learn function that learned my home location by default and I have not had a freeze or glitch with it so far.
They did come out with an update a few times after that and each one seemed to be better with the infotainment, but I still am having issues.
Last week I was not able to unlock the bike, then on Friday, it started worked again..... no clue as to why.
I do not believe that the GPS is a Garmin, when I spoke to one of the Lead Designer at the Long Beach Convention Center he told me it was their own design, could have just been blowing smoke, but I do know that there are two maps in it, CA and US for my release anyways.

Just wished the Infotainment worked all the time, scares the crap out of me when does not come on right away, it comes on after I have been on road for 15 to 20 or even longer with no radio, then BLAM!!!!! you forget just how loud these speakers go LOL

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Rob, not sure if you have heard it on XM just yet, but if you are already paying for the full access with your Car's audio you can now download the XM App on your phone and then all you would need to is use the BT feature for the XM radio.
They just opened the app up free to subscribers last weekend, they have been talking about it on the Highway and No Shoe Radio, not sure about the other stations but I would assume it to be the same.
Might save you a few bucks at any rate.

Not sure if this may help but when I purchased my bike I also had issues with the GPS Nav. big surprise right? Anyways what I found was that every time that I would save my Home address as "Home" in their preset "Home" location it would blank out, freeze up and stop working completely. I had to take it in several times for this and other issues regarding the Infotainment System. I'd had enough and asked them change it out and so far this seemed to have worked the best. When they did swapped it they had to issue a new Card with new codes. you might try this route, it will take them some time to get it in so have them order it and then call you when its in, I am the mistake of leaving the bike, took over a month....
So after I reset it again recognizing this issue in their application I just left my "Home" button unprogrammed, and it worked and has worked fine. With the latest update, it has a learn function that learned my home location by default and I have not had a freeze or glitch with it so far.
They did come out with an update a few times after that and each one seemed to be better with the infotainment, but I still am having issues.
Last week I was not able to unlock the bike, then on Friday, it started worked again..... no clue as to why.
I do not believe that the GPS is a Garmin, when I spoke to one of the Lead Designer at the Long Beach Convention Center he told me it was their own design, could have just been blowing smoke, but I do know that there are two maps in it, CA and US for my release anyways.

Just wished the Infotainment worked all the time, scares the crap out of me when does not come on right away, it comes on after I have been on road for 15 to 20 or even longer with no radio, then BLAM!!!!! you forget just how loud these speakers go LOL
That’s very odd to say the least. I’ve never had an issue with the audio system. Typically after you get that “ACCEPT” that appears on the screen after tuning power on, my stereo starts in right away. The only delay has just been the normal system boot up time. NAV boots up within 2 minutes of that.
Have never had the system fail to boot or not play what I’ve selected. Weather and warnings work great. Listening to USB1 with mp3’s And the weather warning will break in and tell me to tune into a weather alert for my area.
VOX control for placing calls or even changing the radio station or sound source or USB track, all of it works just fine.

I just don’t understand all the performance inconsistencies except for the NAV in Canada vs USA. Everything else is the same and should work great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s very odd to say the least. I’ve never had an issue with the audio system. Typically after you get that “ACCEPT” that appears on the screen after tuning power on, my stereo starts in right away. The only delay has just been the normal system boot up time. NAV boots up within 2 minutes of that.
Have never had the system fail to boot or not play what I’ve selected. Weather and warnings work great. Listening to USB1 with mp3’s And the weather warning will break in and tell me to tune into a weather alert for my area.
VOX control for placing calls or even changing the radio station or sound source or USB track, all of it works just fine.

I just don’t understand all the performance inconsistencies except for the NAV in Canada vs USA. Everything else is the same and should work great.
I gotta know....is your bike 2020 or 2018? My 2020 gave me a screen with 6 days of weather but so far I can't find it on my 2018

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

I gotta know....is your bike 2020 or 2018? My 2020 gave me a screen with 6 days of weather but so far I can't find it on my 2018
I’ve got a 2018 with almost 28k miles on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Good news, the Yamaha Canada office advised me today that they have the fix to activate the GPS in the 2020 Venture TC. They have completed their testing and will advise when I can go to my dealer to get the modification (whatever it is) installed. They said I will need to go to a dealer, therefore I assume they are not simply issuing a new software version at this time.

Yamaha Canada and I have been emailing each other more than once a week since early July.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good news, the Yamaha Canada office advised me today that they have the fix to activate the GPS in the 2020 Venture TC. They have completed their testing and will advise when I can go to my dealer to get the modification (whatever it is) installed. They said I will need to go to a dealer, therefore I assume they are not simply issuing a new software version at this time.

Yamaha Canada and I have been emailing each other more than once a week since early July.
Good news indeed. I am hoping it is a simple fix! Goodluck.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts