Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Good news, the Yamaha Canada office advised me today that they have the fix to activate the GPS in the 2020 Venture TC. They have completed their testing and will advise when I can go to my dealer to get the modification (whatever it is) installed. They said I will need to go to a dealer, therefore I assume they are not simply issuing a new software version at this time.

Yamaha Canada and I have been emailing each other more than once a week since early July.
Yeah..if you need to go to your dealer for a 'modification'...dollars to donuts, that that 'modification' is replacing whatever was different in the power head of the 2020 model...with swapping it out, for a 2018 version...

I'll bet you, that is the 'fix'....and why there is no downloadable software released to everyone....

My money's on you are going to come home with a 2018 in a blue paint job,......but hey..they work....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah..if you need to go to your dealer for a 'modification'...dollars to donuts, that that 'modification' is replacing whatever was different in the power head of the 2020 model...with swapping it out, for a 2018 version...
Rob
If that's is the case, reference back to the the finger-drive and "Fat 32" format discussion...
But I hope you are getting a new Garmin to replace the one that does not work...
Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I will post what they did once I get in the bike shop either next week or the following week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Not YET

Yamaha Canada told me they have the software fix last week to activate the GPS .... still waiting for my dealer to get it (I don't think they shipped it yet) ..... this so UNACCEPTABLE, especially given what I paid with accessories ..... why did not delay the release of the bike???? Its not like the bike had something that worked and now it doesn't...the GPS never worked!!

I will let everyone know once they have delivered a fix ....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yamaha Canada told me they have the software fix last week to activate the GPS .... still waiting for my dealer to get it (I don't think they shipped it yet) ..... this so UNACCEPTABLE, especially given what I paid with accessories ..... why did not delay the release of the bike???? Its not like the bike had something that worked and now it doesn't...the GPS never worked!!

I will let everyone know once they have delivered a fix ....
Thanks Rob,
In the meantime. my Harmon Kardon seems to be developing an issue.
Last week, I was able to successfully upload a route or two (one way) using the "MyRoute" app; I had to download another app. (Trailmini GPX)to allow my Mac to read a GPX file. On Saturday, "Go Home" took an unusually long time to load, and then needed to reload for another long time after a stop. Now...for the last two days, my map screen has the black box reading "Navigation is not ready" I am able to go to the GPS menu, and select a destination, but the loading page (cycling through four dots) remains on the screen...
I have remounted the phone holder to the top of the gas tank lid.
If anyone is interested, it's not a very big job to run the phone's usb cord from the connector to the inside of the gas cap housing and out the hinged end of the cover, to keep the wire out of the way and maintain the integrity of the waterproof lip on the locking "glove-box".

I've got the gps on right now (via battery tender) ...timing to see how long it takes the screen to clear... 10 minutes and counting....the bike is parked where it has previously picked up the location within a minute. Clear skies....
Anyone know how to deleted the uploads?
Crap....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow this stuff is hard to listen to. It is just a shame that a company thinks that it ok to give you this crappy service. On the other hand my gps (the sun) never needs an upgrade.
Lol, I can do that in the woods, but put me on the pavement, especially "in town" as they say, and I'm going in circles...

However; the GPS definitely knows where it is, after waiting for the "destination" to load, 5 minutes? you can hit "GO", but then it cycles back to the loading page...
Main page still reads "Navigation is not ready"...over an hour now. I do like WAZE.....:-(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lol, I can do that in the woods, but put me on the pavement, especially "in town" as they say, and I'm going in circles...

However; the GPS definitely knows where it is, after waiting for the "destination" to load, 5 minutes? you can hit "GO", but then it cycles back to the loading page...
Main page still reads "Navigation is not ready"...over an hour now. I do like WAZE.....:-(
Your gps may be in guidance mode yet. Go to the main gps screen and look for a icon labeled 'quit guidance. Highlight it and press enter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
[/U]
Your gps may be in guidance mode yet. Go to the main gps screen and look for a icon labeled 'quit guidance. Highlight it and press enter.
Look to see if you have the home set and delete that to see if that clears your nav issue. Sounds like the same as I had.
I hope that works. Goodluck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
[/U]

Look to see if you have the home set and delete that to see if that clears your nav issue. Sounds like the same as I had.
I hope that works. Goodluck.
Thanks, I do have Home" set. I have reset it, but I need to figure out how to (flip through the manual) delete it....
I'll go look at that, now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Update.....Yamaha Canada confirmed for me just now that they are shipping by overnight delivery to my dealer the software fix to activate the GPS on my 2020 Venture. I am headed to the dealer tomorrow at 5:30 to have it installed....hoping it is a success....I will post the results either way!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Update.....Yamaha Canada confirmed for me just now that they are shipping by overnight delivery to my dealer the software fix to activate the GPS on my 2020 Venture. I am headed to the dealer tomorrow at 5:30 to have it installed....hoping it is a success....I will post the results either way!!
Fingers crossed for ya!
Ditto....
Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thank you everyone. I went to my Yamaha dealer after work and they had the software upgrade, took an hour or so to upload....but in the end I have an ACTIVATED GPS!! Look forward to spending time on the weekend getting to learn how to use its options and hopefully based on all of the advise on this website learning how to download a route.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Great to hear. Post back any issues or concerns as many are following this thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Great to hear. Post back any issues or concerns as many are following this thread.
Thank you, hopefully all goes smoothly because it is fair to assume they are making the same modifications to all 2020 models.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you everyone. I went to my Yamaha dealer after work and they had the software upgrade, took an hour or so to upload....but in the end I have an ACTIVATED GPS!! Look forward to spending time on the weekend getting to learn how to use its options and hopefully based on all of the advise on this website learning how to download a route.
Great to hear. What a freakin relief.
Now you can really enjoy the bike.
Sit back and know the GPS is ready when you are!!!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts