Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Wash your bike too much?

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  DMTJOY 
#1 ·
Okay, I admit it, I love my bike and I look after it. A 2001 classic with over 40K on the clock and people still think it's a new bike when they see it for the first time.

I had a service done recently where the mechanic said that all the bolt threads he was trying to remove were "too dry" because of the regular washing the detergents and waxes dry things out. He said I should add some kerosene to the washing water to lubricate the the bolts???

Now I know this used to be done regularly for older style washes but I use good quality Maiguires brand and have read many threads about kero actually stripping off modern waxes and the like so it seems not to be a smart thing to do.

So are "dry bolts" a problem to worry about...am I loving my bike to an early grave?? :confused:

#4 ·
Nor have I, I know I am backwoods, BUT I sure as hell never heard of that. Can you explain the thinking and logic on that? Maybe Ol Sugar Bear has missed an important point all these years:confused:
I have no idea, was hoping to either get some understanding here or just discard what he was telling me. I don;t understand it, dry joints etc I can understand - that's why regular maintenance is important - but dry bolts? it's not like you are taking them in and out is it....

#5 ·
Dry bolts?

Matt,

Well I have to admitt I don't know either. But, Have not heard of this. I think Kerosene would remove any wax you have on the bike. I wonder if most of the bolts are not stainless anyway? Other than the wax I guess it can't hurt, does kerosene have enough oil in it to help? Years ago I used to spray my bike with WD 40 for winter storage. That would solve the problem.

Dave

#6 ·
I will be completely honest with ya ll. I have a 2008 vstar 1100 silverado, which has never been washed. My bike looks like a showroom bike. Every time I take it out which is often, I go over the entire bike with Mcquires quick mist detailer. I also keep alot of wax and chrome polish on the bike. No matter how bad the bike gets after a ride, I spend about an hour going over the entire bike with the Mcquires. I use wheel cleaner on the rims, wax on the paint, and chrome polish on all the chrome. My bike has never seen a traditional wash.

#7 ·
I don't think dry bolts is caused by washing to much. But rather not using anti-sieze on reassembly. I ride mine rain or shine (mostly rain lately). and I don't have a problem with dry bolts. I do know that Yamaha did not use anti-sieze when they built the bikes.
Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Thanks Doug, I had not heard of anti-sieze. Did a bit of googling and am now a little more educated. Looks like it is not really a major issue regardless of the way the mechanic made me believe. I will continue to loctite the bolts I remove replace and go from there.
Thanks again.

#9 ·
Did the mechanic ask you if you had any sky hooks or board stretchers, did he tell you your blinker fluid was low or your muffler bearings were shot? I bet he told you your knuder valve was stuck and you needed some cross drilled brake lines too.

#13 ·
Tireburner, you sound like me. I love to ride the bike when ever I can but I can't stand it dirty. So soon as I get back it always gets a detail. I have spent many a night cleaning it to midnight after a full day ride just to go through the process again the next day :eek:

#15 ·
Well,when you pay a lot for something you like to try to get it nice I say..We have 4 bikes and I try to keep them all looking good..I have a friend that wouldn't take his bike out unless he is going to ride at least 200 miles..You should see how he keeps his looking..He has a goldwing with 150000 miles.Looks like new...

#17 ·
To an extent I agree, but a buildup of dirt will hold in moisture and continuous moisture will cause rust and I'm not a big fan of rust on a bike I'm still making payments on. A build up of dirt on an air cooled engine will not let it cool as efficiently as it should. So washing it once in a while isn't a bad thing.

#25 ·
Gotta watch out for that non-eagle pooh. Mine almost always looks like rain paper. Although I did wash it for my daughters graduation from college this past Saturday. Ok I spent a $1.25 at the local car wash. At least the top layer of dirt is off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.